Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few Brno vz24 short rifles with an unusual marking on the right side of the receiver ring. It looks like an inventory number and seems to follow the pattern of PM XXXX.X. This particular one has two sets of markings but I'm more interested in the "PM" marking:

I've read these were ordered by Brazilian rebels in 1932 or so. Is the marking an inventory mark they put on or was it applied by the Brazilian govt after capture?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe that the PMO number was put on there by the Brazilian government after capture.
I'm not sure what it means but I heard that these rifles were issued to police and other "non-military" units later on. It seems that the rebel rifles weren't the only ones marked with a PMO number, I saw a 1908/34 Brazilian on Gunbroker a while back that also had a PMO marking.
I have no idea about the long number above, my rifle only has the PMO #.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
John Wall gave a really indepth answer on the PM prefix. Unfortuneately, I didnt bookmark the site or thread. Ill see If I can pull some of the information from my degrading memory bank. I think initially the VZ24s that were PM prefixed on the right side of the receiver were destined for China, but for one reason or another they didnt make it there. Im not sure if this is the same group of rifles that were sent to the revolutionaries in Brazil or not. The PM Series the "Revolutionarie" ended up with have some noticble differences to other VZ.24s. They have the notch cut out for a bent bolt, the bolt knob is flattened and checkered, the pistol grip is thinner in diamater, and this particular VZ is about 7 ounces lighter than the regular issue VZ

·
Silver Bullet Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I tried to do a forum search but either got 80 pages of results or nothing. It seems I couldn't figure out the right keyword...

·
Silver Bullet Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a hunch, I did an online translation of "military police" from English to Portuguese. How about "polícia militar" explaining the PM stamp?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
John Wall gave a really indepth answer on the PM prefix. Unfortuneately, I didnt bookmark the site or thread. Ill see If I can pull some of the information from my degrading memory bank. I think initially the VZ24s that were PM prefixed on the right side of the receiver were destined for China, but for one reason or another they didnt make it there. Im not sure if this is the same group of rifles that were sent to the revolutionaries in Brazil or not. The PM Series the "Revolutionarie" ended up with have some noticble differences to other VZ.24s. They have the notch cut out for a bent bolt, the bolt knob is flattened and checkered, the pistol grip is thinner in diamater, and this particular VZ is about 7 ounces lighter than the regular issue VZ
The Brazilian VZ24 rifles were the JC lightened version ordered by China. China didn't pay and they were rebarrelled to 7X57 for the San Paulo revolutionaries. Captured by the Brazilian government, they were marked at some time by Brazil (possibly much later) with the PM number. It has been said that is a police marking. Other types of Brazilian Mausers also had the PM number. A quick way to identify the JC rifles is by the bent bolt handle and stock cutout.

·
Silver Bullet Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TMann, that matches the one I saw in person (and the shop wanted $525 for!:laugh:) and what I've seen online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts