1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Wood Trunk Door Tints and shades
Door Wood Motor vehicle Artifact Font
Tire Wood Automotive tire Font Office supplies

Getting the paint of slowly and we confirm the "k" marking on the trigger assembly and the larger screw.
Hand tool Musical instrument Wood Table Bicycle part
Table Wood Hand tool Tool Kitchen utensil

No sign of a crest and any original serial has been scrubbed. In its place is an import serial.

The floor plate has an "83" on it of unknown significance. The floor plate is also the best example of the likely original finish though the paint itself may have given it an almost plastic shine.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,782 Posts
The M1912 was sold to Chile, Colombia, and Mexico (some were kept by Austria for WWI and designated M14). The siderail was marked Modelo 1912 on the Colombian rifles but marked Waffenfabrik Steyr on the Chilean and Mexican rifles. It looks like your rifle was either Colombian or Colombian kept by Austria - not Brazilian (the M1912 was not sold to Brazil). If kept by Austria, it should have an extra large rear swivel loop to fit the Austrian sling. That is to clear the buckle sewn onto the front of the Austrian sling.

Originally it would have had only a rear sling base with no loop, made for a detachable swivel.

M14 rear swivel
Door Handle Door knocker Fixture Household hardware

Austrian sling on front swivel
Brown Wood Grey Bag Rectangle

Austrian sling on rear swivel
Everyday carry Wood Rectangle Bumper Gadget

Rear sling base with no loop on a Chilean M1912 rifle. The detachable swivel is attached to the trigger guard in the photo, to put the sling in the parade position.
Brown Wood Plank Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at my other thread about this rifle. There is a large logo painted on the butt stock that says "Battalion School" in Portuguese. The lower half has the initials PMMG which stands for Policia Militar de Minas Gerais. Minas Gerais is a state in Brazil. The right side serial begins with PM which is how the Brazilians serialed all military police rifles.

Someone on here found the info about a small shipment of 2050 of these that were sent to Brazil around the same as Colombia, Chile and Mexico.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
15,782 Posts
Take a look at my other thread about this rifle. There is a large logo painted on the butt stock that says "Battalion School" in Portuguese. The lower half has the initials PMMG which stands for Policia Militar de Minas Gerais. Minas Gerais is a state in Brazil. The right side serial begins with PM which is how the Brazilians serialed all military police rifles.

Someone on here found the info about a small shipment of 2050 of these that were sent to Brazil around the same as Colombia, Chile and Mexico.
That is the first I have heard about 2050 M1912 rifles going to Brazil. Now that I know it has a Brazilian PM prefix s/n added, I will agree that it was in Brazil. Brazil had a habit of sending odd rifles like the Brazilian rebel VZ24JC to the Policia Militar. How it got to Brazil, I know not. It would not have been ordered in quantity because the bayonet lug will not fit Brazilian M1908 bayonets (same as the VZ24JC). Brazil does share a short border with Colombia, so maybe some stolen Colombian rifles were sold to a Brazilian gang, then captured and assigned to the Brazilian PM. The PM seems to have been the depository for odd military rifles.

That posted about 2050 M1912 rifles in your other thread was posted by Chris Bagiman. He is normally well informed but I see he says that someone else posted the information about the 2050 rifles originally. It seems very strange that Steyr would send 2050 M1912 rifles to Brazil when it was sending all it could make to Chile, Colombia, and Mexico - then stopped shipping M1912 rifles and kept the remainder for issue to Austrian troops as the M14.

Maybe Chris can find the original post about 2050 rifles and repost it in this thread.

Quote:
congratulations, an extreme rare sample! Only 2050 were made by Steyr. What i remember from a previous post:

• serial # started with letter 'A'
  • Steyr used the letter 'K' for inspection of parts (as visible on your crossbolt)
Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Look in this thread for more info.

·
15,782 Posts
Look im this threaf for more info.

I see that I posted in that thread in Sept./Oct. 2021. The evidence is there - for whatever reason - Brazil ordered and received 2,050 M1912 rifles.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My serial was def scrubbed off the receiver as you can see a difference in the color of the metal finish there.

And I just noticed something....the serial is also the number on the stock. It didn't occur to me until now.

And it's the whole trigger assembly that won't come out...I totally mistyped that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for all the pics! Such a awesome find! It looks like the rust should clean up fairly well, on the pics it appears all just surface, I don't see any deep pitting but I don't have the rifle in hand so I could be missing something.

I believe the T in a circle is a Steyr marking. I know my Dutch Mannlicher made at Steyr has a couple of those same stamps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is one odd one on the mag follower that I saw on a Brazilian sling swivel also. Makes me wonder if that was a part that was replaced.

Also I plan to assemble my Enfield then clear my work bench to have room for the Steyr.

Suggestions for cleaning the rust off??

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is one odd one on the mag follower that I saw on a Brazilian sling swivel also. Makes me wonder if that was a part that was replaced.

Also I plan to assemble my Enfield then clear my work bench to have room for the Steyr.

Suggestions for cleaning the rust off??

I'm not sure about that mark either I feel like I have seen it before but I'm not sure. I'll look at some point to see if I can find it.

For the rust I have had good luck using Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner | Remove Rust from Gun Bluing and Clean Dirty Gun Bores Easy!
Basically it's a fine steel wool that doesn't scratch up metal like steel wool normally would. I would just use it with an oil probably Kroil and I think that rust would clean up fairly well. You can buy the big45 on Amazon too if you prefer.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Heino H. have in Steyr table for 1913/14 minimum of 700 M1912 for Estado Minas Gerais. Question remains where is the remains it could be buyed per agent or the list is not complete.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts