Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I'm a bit confused here. There are stamps with a royal/emperor crown. I know Brasil once was a part of a larger "United Kingdom" and even, at one time, had a kind of "Emperorship".
But wasn't this all before Nagant made his first revolver?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,088 Posts
If you do a search of this forum, there have been other posts about the .44 Brazilian and Argentine Nagants. You have an interesting revolver, it does not have the usual Brazilian Marine property marking on the side plate.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,088 Posts
The Nagant firm sold revolvers to alot of different military and police organizations around the world. So, it's possible your revolver was used by some other government. One clue could be the type of cartridge it will chamber. Assuming the cylinder chambers have not been reamed out, what size cartridges will fit?

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
I'm a bit confused here. There are stamps with a royal/emperor crown. I know Brasil once was a part of a larger "United Kingdom" and even, at one time, had a kind of "Emperorship".
But wasn't this all before Nagant made his first revolver?
Brazil (Brasil) was a colony of Portugal and was never a part of the UK. It was dicovered and "flagged" in 1500 by the Portuguese and given its independence by Portugal. Larger than the CONUS, it takes more than 50% of South America and is the only country there that does not speak Spanish, but rather Portuguese. Class dismissed... :)

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
i don't know what it is..... i don't know what it is, but it sure is kool. no import marks, correct?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Brazil (Brasil) was a colony of Portugal and was never a part of the UK. It was dicovered and "flagged" in 1500 by the Portuguese and given its independence by Portugal. Larger than the CONUS, it takes more than 50% of South America and is the only country there that does not speak Spanish, but rather Portuguese. Class dismissed... :)
No, no LewR ... I should have been more clear. I didn't have THE United Kingdom in mind (the "British Isles",to be clear).
There once was a united kingdom formed by Portugal, Algarve (now a part of Portugal of course), Brasil and one or two more regions which escape me for now.
To make your day a happy one, hereby an amusing anecdote. My brother and myself (very young, short pants etc.) had this Scout leader that wanted to become a missionary (it was the golden age of missionaries) in Brasil. It was only after three months of studying Spanish that he came to the surprising conclusion that South America spoke Spanish EXCEPT the hugue country of Brasil. He became a missionary, afterwards met an interesting lady and opened an optician shop with her not far fom were I live. God works in mysterious ways, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
According to a military historian friend of mine in Brazil, the Brazilian Nagants were long serving handguns. Some were reportedly converted to fire the .44 Henry and .44-40 cartridges used by Brazilian cavalry units and police in Winchester carbines. In the 1920s, some were converted to fire the .45 ACP, although they were never issued.

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
No, no LewR ... I should have been more clear. I didn't have THE United Kingdom in mind (the "British Isles",to be clear).
There once was a united kingdom formed by Portugal, Algarve (now a part of Portugal of course), Brasil and one or two more regions which escape me for now.
To make your day a happy one, hereby an amusing anecdote. My brother and myself (very young, short pants etc.) had this Scout leader that wanted to become a missionary (it was the golden age of missionaries) in Brasil. It was only after three months of studying Spanish that he came to the surprising conclusion that South America spoke Spanish EXCEPT the hugue country of Brasil. He became a missionary, afterwards met an interesting lady and opened an optician shop with her not far fom were I live. God works in mysterious ways, wouldn't you say?
One thing I agree with - life is a strange journey which has more twists and turns than anyone can expect. In truth, I cannot find info of the United association you speak of, but I am looking - always good to learn something new every day !!!

Lew

{EDIT} Wow, you were right if you translate directly - from 1815-1822 there was an asssociation of Portugal, Algarves and Brazil - and it could be translated as a "United Kingdom" My family in Brazil (wife's smarter side...LOL) informed me of the vague history you speak of. Please accept my apology for not knowing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts