Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this. I have had this rifle for two months but still have been unable to find any information online about manufacturing dates. It is all numbers matching, but I would like to know what year it was manufactured. And if anyone has an idea on whether that painted-on number was something done in Brazil or some addition, I'd appreciate it.

·
Administrator
9,365 Posts
1909-1910 Delivery ( single letter suffix on serial number)
Greek letters are factory inspection marks typical of Brazilian 1908 Model.
Stamp at Bayonet Bar on barrel is ATF
- dictated US Import Stamp.
Matching bolt, Greek beta is receiver Proof Mark, B in circle is Brazil contract.
Receiver and bolt should be " in the white" ( polished)
With bolt latch with Straw blue flat spring.
Rifle is in "worn" condition ( blue gone from barrel etc, and rust stained polished parts.)

How is the bore and rifling

Doc AV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1909-1910 Delivery ( single letter suffix on serial number)
Greek letters are factory inspection marks typical of Brazilian 1908 Model.
Stamp at Bayonet Bar on barrel is ATF
- dictated US Import Stamp.
Matching bolt, Greek beta is receiver Proof Mark, B in circle is Brazil contract.
Receiver and bolt should be " in the white" ( polished)
With bolt latch with Straw blue flat spring.
Rifle is in "worn" condition ( blue gone from barrel etc, and rust stained polished parts.)

How is the bore and rifling

Doc AV

Thank you so much! So the Germans put the Greek letters on? And that is great to know about all of that thank you again. What do you mean by Straw blue flat spring?

And so the rifling I would say is strong. It is well marked, but the bore is dark and seems dirty to me even after trying to thoroughly clean it. It shoots great. I didn't measure how far the target was or try to group as I had yet to learn about that when I took her out.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
“Strong bore”? I would describe as dark and HEAVILY pitted!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
“Strong bore”? I would describe as dark and HEAVILY pitted!
Well I got a very good deal on the rifle so I’m not upset about it, but that’s good to know. When it’s like that, does it mean the rifle is less accurate?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well I got a very good deal on the rifle so I’m not upset about it, but that’s good to know. When it’s like that, does it mean the rifle is less accurate?
Generally yes but putting shots on paper is the only way to telI.
My 1908 has a little less than a mirror pretty bore...but it is a superb shooter and match winner in milsurp matches.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
some more info about her:
the serial # is '5277 p' . She was made 1910 or 11 at the DWM factories in Berlin, Germany.
Stock seems to be a replacement, from a Mauser Oberndorf-made Brazil 1908 rifle.
Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some more info about her:
the serial # is '5277 p' . She was made 1910 or 11 at the DWM factories in Berlin, Germany.
Stock seems to be a replacement, from a Mauser Oberndorf-made Brazil 1908 rifle.
Chris
Interesting, thank you so much! The stock has a serial number on it that does not match the rest of the rifle. That is good to know. How could you tell from looking at it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Generally yes but putting shots on paper is the only way to telI.
My 1908 has a little less than a mirror pretty bore...but it is a superb shooter and match winner in milsurp matches.
Oh sweet! I'll have to take mine out and shoot paper very soon then. Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far I have just used CLP, should I be using something else?
Also, I've heard you need 25 posts and then a trading section of the site will open up for you? Is that simply 25 profile posts for someone would might be following me, or is it just interactions like these comments?

·
Registered
263 Posts
25 posts I believe. Nice rifle. I lucked into a couple of the Model 1908 Brazilian myself. I am familiar with two of the stock stamps. One is a small flag with a B inside. The other is a Star of David. I have one of each. Let us know how your range visit goes. There is no consensus on the best product to use to clean the bore (in my opinion). Just keep at it but don't over do it and always be mindful of the muzzle crown when you clean (most clean from the muzzle end (my observation)I have found, as a shorter cleaning rod can be used in that circumstance).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
25 posts I believe. Nice rifle. I lucked into a couple of the Model 1908 Brazilian myself. I am familiar with two of the stock stamps. One is a small flag with a B inside. The other is a Star of David. I have one of each. Let us know how your range visit goes. There is no consensus on the best product to use to clean the bore (in my opinion). Just keep at it but don't over do it and always be mindful of the muzzle crown when you clean (most clean from the muzzle end (my observation)I have found, as a shorter cleaning rod can be used in that circumstance).
Okay, I will get on that! And thanks, do you know why a star of David would have made it onto a Brazilian Mauser? And will do! Would've gone Saturday to celebrate completing finals but was rained out.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
... I lucked into a couple of the Model 1908 Brazilian myself. I am familiar with two of the stock stamps. One is a small flag with a B inside. The other is a Star of David. I have one of each. Let us know how your range visit goes.
About the Brazil 1908 stock cartouches, there are 3 different stock cartouches known:
  • the first ones had a kind of Rose or Floral pattern. These were DWM made 'a' ... 'm' ...(somewhen) series blocks
  • 2nd one had a 'Star of David', or 6-pointed star cartouche. This was used by DWM makes from 1911 (about) onwards: 'o' (about) onwards, and 'Aa'...'Kk' series blocks in the 1913 contract.
    That 'Star of David' stamp was already used on the older Spanish M93 rifles, made by the same company (at that time, called :'Loewe Co.'). There was lots of discussion, if that 'Star of David' has any connection to the Jewish owners of the Loewe Co. Another interpretation is that the 'Star of David' shows ultimate quality...
  • 3rd one has the 'B in circle in flag' cartouche. These were made by Waffenfabrik Mauser, Oberndorf, in about 1913. These were 'Ll' ... 'Uu' series blocks.
The op's rifle has a 'flag' cartouche stock on a DWM-made receiver -> the stock seems to be exchanged somewhen.

The Mauser Oberndorf cartouche 'B in circle in flag' was re-used for further Brazil rifles: from my experience, the
  • Brazil 1922 (FN make)
  • Brazil 1908/1934 (Czech Brno make)
used the 'B in circle in flag' stock cartouche as well.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the Brazil 1908 stock cartouches, there are 3 different stock cartouches known:
  • the first ones had a kind of Rose or Floral pattern. These were DWM made 'a' ... 'm' ...(somewhen) series blocks
  • 2nd one had a 'Star of David', or 6-pointed star cartouche. This was used by DWM makes from 1911 (about) onwards: 'o' (about) onwards, and 'Aa'...'Kk' series blocks in the 1913 contract.
    That 'Star of David' stamp was already used on the older Spanish M93 rifles, made by the same company (at that time, called :'Loewe Co.'). There was lots of discussion, if that 'Star of David' has any connection to the Jewish owners of the Loewe Co. Another interpretation is that the 'Star of David' shows ultimate quality...
  • 3rd one has the 'B in circle in flag' cartouche. These were made by Waffenfabrik Mauser, Oberndorf, in about 1913. These were 'Ll' ... 'Uu' series blocks.
The op's rifle has a 'flag' cartouche stock on a DWM-made receiver -> the stock seems to be exchanged somewhen.

The Mauser Oberndorf cartouche 'B in circle in flag' was re-used for further Brazil rifles: from my experience, the
  • Brazil 1922 (FN make)
  • Brazil 1908/1934 (Czech Brno make)
used the 'B in circle in flag' stock cartouche as well.

Chris
Oh wow! So it’s a 1913 stock on a 1910 rifle. That’s really cool. Thank you for all of that information

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful rifle! Where did you find that bayonet? I'd love to get one as well. My sling seems to be very old, is there any chance it is original to the stock or rifle?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,197 Posts
Beautiful rifle! Where did you find that bayonet? I'd love to get one as well. My sling seems to be very old, is there any chance it is original to the stock or rifle?
Your sling looks very much to be original, and in good condition, too!

The bayonet is a Brazilian M1908; they are (or were) common on Gunbroker and Ebay. The frog is a reproduction, German WWII style. I have no clue what a Brazilian frog would look like.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts