Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to learn why the Brazilian M954 has a threaded barrel is like a dog chasing his tail. What devices has anyone actually seen that were designed and meant for use on the M954?
Whether flash hider, grenade launcher, or something else entirely, where can such a device be obtained?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Chris. But are there any pictures or descriptions of the actual brakes or launchers out there? Better yet, an authentic brake that I can obtain to mount on my rifle?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Brazilians modified about 10,000 M854s to 7.62 NATO caliber and called that revised rifle the M968, sometimes known as the Mosquefal. The pic below shows one of the M968s with a muzzle flash hider/brake device. I am not sure if the M968 muzzle thread's pitch and diameter are the same as the M954 but I would be surprised if there were different.

I would like to cap the barrel on my M954 as well, it looks somehow unfinished with the coarse threaded muzzle sticking out! I would be interested to hear if you can track down a source for this sort of thing.

Source: Fuzís Mauser no Brasil e as Espingardas da Fábrica de Itajubá (Rev. 2)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hadn't thought in terms of it appearing "unfinished" but yes!
It bothers me from that perspective as well as being unprotected threads. But it also bothers me the same as if it had a missing sight hood or cleaning rod.
I did not know about the M968. I will broaden my search. Surely they would be the same muzzle device.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which brings up another point...was the M954 issued with a cleaning rod, or a cleaning kit with a pull through (in the buttstock)?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Both had a screw on muzzle cover to protect the threads. It has either an aluminum or plastic insert over the muzzle.
Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think the plastic would melt if you didn't tale it off for shooting. Any idea where I can buy the metal one?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
They are both metal. The insert is on the front covering the muzzle. I suspect it was done that way in the event some bozzo shot it without removing the cover. Try some of the online military surplus dealers. Maybe they have some. I have a couple somewhere but I couldn't put my hands on them even if tried real hard.
Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you!
I have tried a few, such as Liberty Tree and Sarco, but I'll keep looking. It's easier to look knowing they exist.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
About the muzzle flash hider: please have a close look at the FN FAL flash hider, if it's the same muzzle thread.
Details: Brazil got already in 1954 first samples of the up-to-date FN FAL rifle. Unfortunately, it took until 1964 for Brazil to accept the the FN-FAL as standard rifle - made in Itajuba!

From my impression, without checking samples:
  • Brazil M968 (1968, with the German G3-style diopter sight) might for sure have the same muzzle threads as FN FAL
  • Brazil M954 (1954) might have the same muzzle threads as FN FAL, since first FAL samples were already in Brazil in 1954
Details from the book 'The FAL rifle', Collector grade publications

Question:
  • what muzzle thread has your M954 ?
  • do you have the chance to check a FAL flash hider?

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About the muzzle flash hider: please have a close look at the FN FAL flash hider, if it's the same muzzle thread.
Details: Brazil got already in 1954 first samples of the up-to-date FN FAL rifle. Unfortunately, it took until 1964 for Brazil to accept the the FN-FAL as standard rifle - made in Itajuba!

From my impression, without checking samples:
  • Brazil M968 (1968, with the German G3-style diopter sight) might for sure have the same muzzle threads as FN FAL
  • Brazil M954 (1954) might have the same muzzle threads as FN FAL, since first FAL samples were already in Brazil in 1954
Details from the book 'The FAL rifle', Collector grade publications

Question:
  • what muzzle thread has your M954 ?
  • do you have the chance to check a FAL flash hider?

Chris
I might be the worlds worst researcher. This is one part of what makes forums appealing to me. Being able to tap the experiences of others.
I've been googling. I'm coming up with different styles on the FAL. Right thread, left thread, pinned, metric and S.A.E measured threads (although nobody has stated actual threads per inch or diameter).
I find far less information regarding the M954 itself.
So I'm about to attack from another direction and begin googling "how to determine threads per inch". My head is about to hurt again...lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts