Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I found a neat revolver at a pawnshop last week and I inquired about it, the pawnshop guy didn`t want to sell it because it was broke, he knows me due to my frequent visits and he knows I`m a remington and Colt factory trained armorer, I asked him if he wanted me to try to fix it and he said "it`s beyond repair and there are no parts available" I took a look at the gun and it is a I.N.A. Tiger .38 snub nosed revolver made expressly for the Brazillian air force, the gun was in what I would call new or unissued condition, evidently the yoke had bent due to someone dropping it with the cylinder open. I asked him how much he wanted "as is" with no warranty, he said $35, I laid down the cash and am now waiting my three days to pick it up. He let me take the cylinder, yoke and ejector home today and I just spent an hour or so trying to figure out what was wrong, the yoke was fine, but the cylinder was binding on the yoke arm, the yoke was not bent and the more I turned it the looser it got. I put a dab of lapping compound between the cylinder and yoke shaft, screwed in the ejector rod and chucked it in my drill press, after a few minutes it started turning freely, blasted all the lapping compound out and put a finer grade in there and ran it on my drill press again, it spins like a roulette wheel now!There is no discernible run out or play in the assembly and I do believe I`ve got the damn thing fixed! The Revolver seems to be very well made, much nicer than a taurus or rossi, quality seems to be along the lines of a S&W or Colt, the bluing is immaculate, the gun seems like it`s brand new! I have done many searches for I.N.A. revolvers but I`m not finding much, evidently they were never imported to the USA. If anyone has any feedback, positive or negative please enlighten me,
Seriously though how can I go wrong for $35? I`d just like to know more about the gun, possibly what it`s worth, and where could I possibly find any parts ( Numrich was a bust) Thanks for any help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHFlJ3x1X_c

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
I used to have a I.N.A. revolver which was a 6 shot in .32 S&W Long caliber with a 3" barrel. It was imported commercially by F.I E. of Miami , FL. It was a pretty nice little pocket revolver. They don't show up very often and parts would be hard to find. You're lucky that you were able to repair the cylinder binding problem. Does the revolver have Brazilian Air Force markings? If so some photos when you pick it up would be great.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The AF INA's were in 32 S&W long. I have fired one, was not overly impressed. They seem to break a lot and there are no parts, they are a S&W copy, but not clones and any parts exchange would require very careful hand crafting and fitting. I remember an old article on these guns, at the time the AF people were every unhappy with this firearm. But , your money, with the availability of parts I think you are buying a paper weight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negative posts are fine, I have a thick skin. If I had said I just got a type 94 nambu and someone said "hey that thing will put your eye out" (which would actually be sound advice) I think that type of comment would definately be warranted due to the dangerous nature of those pistols. If we collect military side arms for any length of time we will eventually run into something that is somewhat less than desireable as a valid defensive pistol, but thats not what we collect them for. I fixed the revolver just to have a working example in the collection, a bit better than having one thats not dead in the water, I think you`ll agree. By the way, Numrich is not a bust as far as parts go, you just have to research and find out all the monikers that the pistol went by over the years, if you search for a I.N.A. revolver you will find nada. BUT if you search for F.I.E. Model 3 (revolver) you have found the gun and there are quite a few parts available (in gold plate?) as well as blue and nickel.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If I had said I just got a type 94 nambu and someone said "hey that thing will put your eye out" (which would actually be sound advice) I think that type of comment would definately be warranted due to the dangerous nature of those pistols.
I would disagree with that statement. The exposed sear bar is overstated for what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I found a neat revolver at a pawnshop last week and I inquired about it, the pawnshop guy didn`t want to sell it because it was broke, he knows me due to my frequent visits and he knows I`m a remington and Colt factory trained armorer, I asked him if he wanted me to try to fix it and he said "it`s beyond repair and there are no parts available" I took a look at the gun and it is a I.N.A. Tiger .38 snub nosed revolver made expressly for the Brazillian air force, the gun was in what I would call new or unissued condition, evidently the yoke had bent due to someone dropping it with the cylinder open. I asked him how much he wanted "as is" with no warranty, he said $35, I laid down the cash and am now waiting my three days to pick it up. He let me take the cylinder, yoke and ejector home today and I just spent an hour or so trying to figure out what was wrong, the yoke was fine, but the cylinder was binding on the yoke arm, the yoke was not bent and the more I turned it the looser it got. I put a dab of lapping compound between the cylinder and yoke shaft, screwed in the ejector rod and chucked it in my drill press, after a few minutes it started turning freely, blasted all the lapping compound out and put a finer grade in there and ran it on my drill press again, it spins like a roulette wheel now!There is no discernible run out or play in the assembly and I do believe I`ve got the damn thing fixed! The Revolver seems to be very well made, much nicer than a taurus or rossi, quality seems to be along the lines of a S&W or Colt, the bluing is immaculate, the gun seems like it`s brand new! I have done many searches for I.N.A. revolvers but I`m not finding much, evidently they were never imported to the USA. If anyone has any feedback, positive or negative please enlighten me,
Seriously though how can I go wrong for $35? I`d just like to know more about the gun, possibly what it`s worth, and where could I possibly find any parts ( Numrich was a bust) Thanks for any help!

Hey a friend of mine gave me a tiger ina in 38 cal. The firing pin was broken. I ordered one for a mod 36 s&w modified it and mine shoots awesome.
actually my wife carries it for her purse carry gun.
she’s dam good with it also.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My dad had a INA .32 revolver he carried for protection when he was the guy at his plant that collected money for the credit union there. He was a third shift worker in a downtown location so he felt he needed something for protection and carried it in his paper lunch bag! As a kid who thought any firearm was a cool thing and later in life I happened upon one at a local auction for very short money as it did not work but bought it anyways as I like to tinker and it was just like my dad's. I forget the problem it had but gave up after several years of casual tinkering with and eventually sold it at auction for profit if you don't factor in my tinkering time. When my dad passed I inherited his .32 INA which works fine but I don't shoot it.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Have you actually picked it up yet? Fired it? I would strongly suggest you insure the pistol is correctly timed prior to firing, unlike S&W internal parts may be soft and wear or be damaged easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts