Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~I have 2 holsters and I don't know about them. The first one is marked "Boyt US 42," and the other is a shoudder holster. I can make out "Bradeleye", "45" and "6." The mark is lightly stamped so it's hard to tell what is behind "Bradeleye."
I would really appreciate anyone's help to understand what these are and for what type of guns go into the holster. Thanks to all...

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
The first is a USGI M1916 holster; as the date indicates, it was made in 1942 by the Boyt company, which I believe was located in Iowa Falls, IA. It is for the M1911A1 service pistol. From its pristine appearance it has either led a charmed life or (more likely) been spiffied up by a previous owner. It appears to be missing the belt hook which attaches it to the pistol belt.

I can't find the second holster in a cursory examination of E.S .Meadows's US MILITARY HOLSTERS AND PISTOL CARTRIDGE BOXES and would guess it is a commercial holster for a short barreled Colt or S&W .38 revolver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first is a USGI M1916 holster; as the date indicates, it was made in 1942 by the Boyt company, which I believe was located in Iowa Falls, IA. It is for the M1911A1 service pistol. From its pristine appearance it has either led a charmed life or (more likely) been spiffied up by a previous owner. It appears to be missing the belt hook which attaches it to the pistol belt.
Thanks so much for the info and your time. These 2 items came from a storage unit sale and I just wish I could have gotten my hands on the other goodies that I saw! All of the stuff was in great shape for being in storage. Also, these room buyers don't go through and clean anything=it comes out of the truck the way it came out of the storage unit. Anyway, there is a question that I wondered about but I am not asking for an appraisal. Are there alot of these Boyt 42's out there in such great condition-or does that matter to a collector? Again, many thanks to all..

·
Registered
924 Posts
In my experience most WW2 holsters have become darker than yours due to wear--they were issued for decades after WW2. In 1972 I was issued a M1916 holster made in 1942 by Crump, which I still have; it has acquired a patina of dirt, oil, etc, plus getting wet in the field several times has made it significantly darker than yours--which was why I speculated yours might have been cleaned up. OTOH, around 1970 I purchased a M1916 holster in unissued condtion--so condition runs the gaumet.

If you want to take the time, I'd suggest going to the US Militaria forum
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/
and posting a picture of your holster. There is a gentleman there--Artu44--who has an extensive collection of USGI holsters and will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your holster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.