Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see the boxed or slashed box refurb mark on Mosins all the time.

I was wondering, does anyone have a VN war bring back that also has this mark on it.

It is reasonable that some stocks of refurb'd M44 for example made their way to the North
Viets as Soviet aid. Those M44 could have been WWII weapons that underwent post war
refurb and then were sent to North Viet Nam later on.

I wasn't looking (did not know box /slashed box mark) for such marks when I was a troop in
that war. My 1945 all matching POS condition Izhevtz M44 which I personally brought back does
not have any refurb marks on it. I can shoot this M44 in Virginia and miss the state !

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
We do know Russian Capture K98k's were captured in VN. I have seen one with bring back papers and have seen others posted. So refurbed K98's show up. I would bet some refurbed marked Mosins were provided to the North and hopefully someone will show us an example.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I saw some of the Russian 98K as well and some of the French brought in 98K as well. Just never saw any refurb Mosins that we see today. I sure never saw any 91/30 but I did see a PU sniper up at Camp Evans.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Mike, I saw some of the Russian 98K as well and some of the French brought in 98K as well. Just never saw any refurb Mosins that we see today. I sure never saw any 91/30 but I did see a PU sniper up at Camp Evans.
Yea, there does seem to be a wierd lack of Mosins with refurb marks. Hopefully someone will post one with the refurb mark on the barrel as seeing one on most VN stocks, with their normal severe wear, may be hard to see.

The RC mauser I saw in person had the typical X mark and Soviet renumbered stock. I am also aware some where provided by the French, which will have different features.

Lots of pictures of PUs have turned up. Of course we know Carlos shot through one PU scope and the female sniper he took out after she went to pottie also had one. Many were Hungarian M52's, which is also substantiated. I have an undocumented one that definitely looks the story.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I only have a couple of bringback T44's, and neither has a refurb mark. One even has the crossbolt and launcher sight base, but no refurb mark. The only 91/30 sniper that has the refurb mark is an undocumented "war story" Tula PU, and since it has no documentation I'd say that it doesn't count. I still have to check my 98k's. What does the barrel refurb mark look like?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a lot of info on VN war Mosins is there. However we have
more than Korean War Mosins. In theory refurb marked Mosins
of 91/30 and M44 made their way to NK army for Korean War.

Strangely, KW Mosins don't surface and that is a real mystery why.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that is something that I did not know, refurb was in 70's ?
I thought it was post war like 46 onwards to like late 50's?

Do we have a validated source and consensus refurb was in the 70's?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
I think some of the refurb process happened before the 60's or 70's when most of the current imports are assumed to have been done. There were probably several waves of rebuilding, including the immediate post war rebuilds like in the U.S. right up to the latest batches that we are getting now. You finish a war, clean up the gear, and send everyone home.

In the late 90's, the first batch of refurbs came in from the Balkans (Albania, Romania, and Bulgaria) that look almost identical to the refurbs in the crates today, but were well worn and beat up from use. Hard to believe all of that happened post 1970.

I have a 1943 Izhevsk I picked up that mostly looks like a well worn refurb, but lacking import marks and with a Chinese bolt. Looks like an undocumented bringback, and looks too worn and patina covered to be an unstamped Balkan import. I need to find the pics of that one.

Here is the Izhevsk. The pictures need updating, but it has a strange circle mark on it and a Remington magazine. No telling where it came from, but well worth $80.
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x116/Homer_067/m9130Izh1943nonimport/

·
Gold Bullet member
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KW Mosins? How do you know they are that ? I have asked about
them for several years now and no one has a validated example to post.

If yours are, are they M44, M38 or M91/30 ? Anything special regarding proof marks
or refurb marks on them ?

Pls post more information, this is really interesting ! Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
KW Mosins? How do you know they are that ? I have asked about
them for several years now and no one has a validated example to post.

If yours are, are they M44, M38 or M91/30 ? Anything special regarding proof marks
or refurb marks on them ?

Pls post more information, this is really interesting ! Thanks !!!!
Both KW bringbacks are 91/30's built in 1937. One has a replaced forend. One has capture paper and was picked up by a Marine after he was discharged from the hospital after the battles at the Chosin. The other I got straight from the vet, a retired Army Colonel who captured it and its bayonet at Wonju. Neither rifle has any proof markings that would distinguish it. Interesting sidenote to me is that I was an advisor/trainer to the Korean Air Force and Marines at Wonju in the early 1970s, and had walked the same spot where the Colonel had captured it. I was clueless as to what had gone on in that location.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,278 Posts
I think some of the refurb process happened before the 60's or 70's when most of the current imports are assumed to have been done. There were probably several waves of rebuilding, including the immediate post war rebuilds like in the U.S. right up to the latest batches that we are getting now. You finish a war, clean up the gear, and send everyone home.

In the late 90's, the first batch of refurbs came in from the Balkans (Albania, Romania, and Bulgaria) that look almost identical to the refurbs in the crates today, but were well worn and beat up from use. Hard to believe all of that happened post 1970.

I have a 1943 Izhevsk I picked up that mostly looks like a well worn refurb, but lacking import marks and with a Chinese bolt. Looks like an undocumented bringback, and looks too worn and patina covered to be an unstamped Balkan import. I need to find the pics of that one.

Here is the Izhevsk. The pictures need updating, but it has a strange circle mark on it and a Remington magazine. No telling where it came from, but well worth $80.
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x116/Homer_067/m9130Izh1943nonimport/
I would have to agree with you that the refurb process was randon and ongoing..it should be noted that there are a number of 1920-1930s mosins that were captured in ww2 that already had refurb marks on them.I assume there was a pre war process and that after the war that some of the satillite states had control of the refurb process for mosins in their possession.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
You blokes* just made me go back over 12 Finn captures, looking for refurb marks. None found.

* bloke [bləʊk]- noun: def. : 1. Brit and Austral informal word for man. Chap. Fellow. : 2. Word spoken by Mosin Nagant collector who has been hanging out too long in the Lee Enfied Forum.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
The Soviets started refurbing Mosins shortly after WW2, and began marking them with the familiar refurb markings in the late 1940's - early 1950's period. They continued refurbing and refurb marking them right up to the break-up of the Soviet Union.

I've had several VN Mosins with the refurb markings. A while back I posted some photos of one of my VN captured M44's - the one with the original "War Trophy" tag still attached - that is all original and matching, and has the refurb marking on the barrel....don't remember if it had one on the stock or not.

The reason you don't see VN bringbacks with refurb marks is that the refurb process happened in the mid 1970s. War was over by then ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The French used/ distributed former German weapons in VN didnt they? Foriegn Legion?
One of my bringback 98k's, which came from the arms depots in the Saigon area, has a note from the vet who brought it back. In it he states that when he picked it up he asked the personnel there where it came from and was told that the 98k's in the depots were captured by the US in WWII and then turned over to the French, who shipped them to Indochina.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.