Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought me a rifle straight from the closet, or straight from a garage condition, very decent wood, a Kokura arsenal, most likely 24th series from faint partial imprint of stamping, 40,000 serial number range, no other production numbers before the serial number like late war, bolt handle is regular earlier style like the safety knob, has mum with a faint couple of slash marks in the shape of an X, seems late war but not completely, it is missing some screws that appear to never have been installed originally, like the front band is threaded but is able to slide back and forth and maybe it had a pin a one time instead of a screw, is missing one screw at the nosecap, and missing one of the three action screws, has a place for monopod but appears one was never installed, no place for aircraft wings, has metal buttplate that appears to be more rusty than the condition of the wood like it was put on a rifle at production but was already heavy rusted, has chrome line bore but the rifling appears roughly cut, I almost thought it was messed up inside but there is what looks like some pitting, OR its more of the same roughly cut riflng, nice muzzle crown. No cleaning rod, Numbers matching front band/receiver/bolt. Bolt face not chromed, though the bore is.

Rifle has a nice original looking finish, might have been a barely used rifle at one time but has surface rust here and there, rough shaping of the pistol grip area.

I was thinking about trying to find some missing screws, but I believe it is the way it left an arsenal, and it has an accumulation of dust and lint like from half or more a century, defninitely needs cleaning up and preserving. No import mark. I paid a $175 for it. It aint a high end rifle, and I don't reload for this round, but if I ever shoot it I am thinking I should have a third screw to hold the action together instead of the two, and the front band, if I ever did find a screw it might not be correct, maybe a wooden dowel for late war expediency would be correct, and forget about a monopod, doubt it ever had one.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have found is really shocking on ebay, that there are so many parts apparently from complete rifles, so many complete stocks, all the metal, I mean, its way more than can ever be found for such rifles like carcanos. I suppose there are folks who find it more profitable to completely part out arisakas, I mean, there was even a full mum receiver there! I ended up buying one of the many three screw triggerguard sets to replace my one missing screw. I suppose I could get a rear band screw eventually if I have to buy a whole band, there are several or more.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,665 Posts
Does your rifle have that hand carved/ chatter look on the wrist of the stock what you call rough? I have a 24th and seem to see quite a few 24th series with this feature.

Anyone have any comments on the origin of this vertical rough/ chatter cut on the wrist?

I also have a T38 Calvary where the entire stock has a horizontal chatter/ rough cut.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
You can be sure your rifle was complete with all screws when it left the factory.

Screws are not hard to find. Post a WTB on the Japanese trader forum for what you need.

Yes, common, often sporterized, Arisakas are "parted out"; which is the only source for many parts. Why more Arisakas than Carcanos? Over a million Arisakas were souveniered by the US; Most Carcanos were imported through commercial channels, and there would have been many fewer brought
into the US. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, it has the chatter in the wood, and I am gonna replace the screws. I've considered replacing the heavily rusted buttplate, someone could have switched it long ago or recently, unsure why someone would do this cause the rifle is pretty decent other than some old surface rust, other than someone may not have not liked the rough cut rifling half way through the bore, or its pitting, or maybe I might get surprised when I run a brush in there several or more times. I consider it a good representative example and one that likely was in a combat zone, though the buttplate could have gotten that chewed up by being stored in a garage cement floor, the dust is vertical in the holes as if the rifle sat on its buttplate upright for many many decades, thank goodness the wood aint stained with rust there.

Probably how the screws disappeared was when someone brought it home, disassembled it, and lost the screws in transit, thanks for that advice 03man. Ya know, I might add a monopod, seems I remember seeing repros, it probably came with one of those too and was discarded, I don't have to worry about aircraft "wings" for rear sight at least, but I will a cleaning rod.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If it never had a pod installed, there would be no point in installing one. The more original the piece is the better, even if that means it doesn't have all the extra goodies. A repro pod definitely won't add value to it at all either.

On a side note, I actually have a vet bring back carcano. No background on it unfortunately, but it has all the original cartouches and none of the "Made in Italy" stuff on it. Only thing I know about it is that it came from the grandson of a WWII Vet who brought it home.

Other than that, sounds like you have a neat rifle. I am thinking about getting a decent later/transitional Kokura. I love the chatter on these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts