Gunboards Forums banner

Bought my first T99 last ditch!

791 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  3ngineer 
#1 ·
Just won this auction on GB and I'm stoked. I love the simplicity of the last ditch rifles. No frills or bells and whistles, just what's needed to get the job done. This one has mum intact and although I don't know if numbers match the overall condition looks pretty good. The bore looked OK enough to me, what do you guys think?

#2 ·
Nice rifle IMO, and a killer price. Now's the time to hook these kinds of deals, the Arisaka market is on the rise. I like the last ditch features too, much more prominent than say, the Kreigsmodell 98k's (which are also super cool but less accessible for many in terms of market price).

#4 ·
You’ll have to post pictures once you get your paws on it. The GB pictures don’t show what arsenal or series stampings. The stock has what appears to be some really cool grains but the lighting throws off the overall look. The stock may be a replacement as the single screw rear sling swivel has both holes drilled. There are a few variants with the stock cut for a two screw swivel but with a single screw swivel but the second screw hole was never drilled.

I look forward to see your pictures. [emoji1303]

#6 ·
Arsenal and serial will tell us more, but the stock does look refinished. You can see where somebody buggered up the recoil lug when removing it, and it also now sits proud of the wood.

Despite that, I think you did good. The late war rifles are marginally harder to find with mums as they generally weren't the first picked souveniers and most remained on mainland Japan.

#8 ·
For the price, not a bad buy in today's market I suppose. I didn't catch does the bolt match? IMHO that's a pretty lame add with pictures, doesn't show the most important (to most collectors) The arsenal and series with the serial number. And a picture of the bolt number would have been nice to easy determine if it matches.
Anyways, like has been mentioned the stock is definitely sanded. Bummer. I think deeply at that, judging by how far the center stock bolt is protruding. It should be flush or recessed. If you really wanted a last ditch with a Mum, then you did OK.
I personally am a stickler for original wood, unless its something really rare. I can live with a ground mum (as its part of history) Bubba and sandpaper isn't historic too me. This is just my opinion on collecting Japanese rifles. I have a Mummed- matching, Howa Series 9, (one of the rarest series) that has a slightly cleaned up stock. I live with it, due to the scarcity of the rifle in matching condition.

Regardless, for under $300 in 2021, you probably did the right thing and picked it up. If you ever get tired of it or upgrade to a more original condition rifle, I'm sure you could probably sell it for more than you paid. Give us an update when you get her in hand. Good luck!

#9 ·
3ngineer, congrats on your purchase! Post pics once you get it in hand. I sold more Type 99s from my table at the last show than I have in years, and all of them went to young men who specifically wanted a late-war example and, more impressively, where to do their research. Look forward to seeing your pics. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.