Gunboards Forums banner

BOTR (Bloke on the Range) gives an interestingly detailed (& Fugly) bit on the rapid fire for the Lee-Enfield.

684 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  plonker 
#1 ·
Almost 20 minutes & IMO worth every one of them.

#2 · (Edited)
Very good description here of how to structure good practice routines. His point to settle on aim and follow through (both very briefly) even during rapid fire is well made. One thing not identified on the snap disc target shown being used on the range is the common way military personnel were taught to get on aim. This was particularly desirable if the disc rises from behind the mantlet. A military shooter taught me to slide the sight blade up the stick as is rises, then pausing briefly to finalise the aim and firing the shot.

His description about options for a mag change would not be relevant to most Enfield shooters since competition would typically be based only on using stripper clips. The idea to chamber the last round (avoids having to stroke the bolt again) then do the mag change would be possible within a MoD safety template. On a civilian range here in Australia it would quickly raise the ire of the range officer!

One thing I wondered, right at the start, was if he had been using corrosive primed NATO ammo. Did I see a slight ring of rust around the boltface very early on in the vid? Often forgotten after using corrosive ammo is to clean the boltface. I have seen very many .303's here with the telltale grey ring where the salts escape the edge of the primer.

#4 ·
Beyond the subject , I had never seen up close the reproduction No.4 action which was once made briefly in Australia, a few migrated here to USA and vanished. Looks to be a robust decent replica of the No.4 for shooting purposes and hard use ..like hunting. I'd like to have had one and yes, I remember the prices were not cheap and one could get a very proper & fine condition No.4 far cheaper but the point is , I would have wanted a non collectible rifle for hard use, thus one of these would have fit my requirement. I'd have wanted a 5 rd , not a 30 rd detachable mag and
probably if availability were such, I'd want one in 308 Win as well as 762x39. Jezzzz that last sentence was a long one, I've have hated to
be tasked to diagram it like we had to do in high school English class !

#5 ·
A few found their way into the USA, but the main shipment (via TriStar) wasn't allowed in, thus eventually diverted to Canada. Technicalities revolving around "Australian" firearms actually manufactured in Vietnam.
I wanted one myself and was on the phone to TriStar several times checking on the impound status. No joy.

The video neglected to mention one thing regarding the Mad Minute drill. Although he did cover how to address an occasional slip-up, he never mentioned a slip-up on an SMLE with the cutoff plate in the open position. Talk about ripped knuckles....

A point of interest I found somewhat amazing at the time. I always wondered why the bolt handle was dog legged on the M1917 and Pattern14 rifles. The dog leg was to position the knob relative to the trigger giving the same feel as the Lee Enfield. Not only familiarity but also for Mad Minute drills.

#6 ·
For a true Mad Minute, not "just whaling off 10 rounds fast" My grandfather who was an "old sweat", taught me the 5-5-6-5- technique.
Take a full, but not overly deep breath.
Load 10 rounds (2 chargers) flip out the first charger with the back of your hand & the second by closing the bolt.
Fire 6 rounds.
Leave the bolt open after #6, & as you exhale & inhale grab & insert one more charger of 5 rounds close the bolt, ejecting the clip, & carry on firing.
Repeat as needed till the one minute is up, or you run out of bullets!
As "Willie Garvin" would say (In a Michael Cane accent):
"You'd 'ave to be dead lucky, Princess, honest"!
If you do the math it means you can rapidly load & fire
10-6=4
+5= 9
9-6=3
+5=8
8-6=2
+5=7
7-6=1
+5=6
That's 36 rounds total, more than enough to be adequately supplied for the 31 or 32 (depends who you ask) that is the World Record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.