Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a m39 off a user here a while ago, before he shipped it he decided to run a bore snake through it and it snapped completely in the middle of the barrel, ie no part of the boresnake is visible. I’ve tried pounding a 7.5mm steel rod down the middle with a BFH, more recently tried hyraulic pressing a rod down the barrel... next step I’m thinking of pouring something down the barrel that would dissolve/weaken the nylon then back to hammering...

Any ideas or help?

Attached is my most recent bubba idea.. lol

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
10,342 Posts
I can offer you no good ideas but I will say that I’m sorry it happened. I have numerous boresnakes in a number of different calibers and I have never had much confidence in them. On the rare occasion I have used one I fully expected the rope to break in the barrel.

Good luck!

PS: Sufficient compressed air might work as will some type of hydraulic application of grease if you can figure a way to set it up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you try pushing from the receiver end?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
besides all the other suggestions, i think you need to get the plug soaked with lubricant, to help make it start to move. use some very thin light oil, and let it soak for a couple days, from each side of it. the idea of using a rod being pushed in the press, should work if you use a sized rod that is very close to bore diameter. be sure you get the barrelled action in a secure, plumb mount b4 you push hard on it. in the pic it looks like you are using a brass rod of excessive length that is bending. you need to use a steel rod that is only a couple inches inches out of the barrel. once it starts to move, you may be able to use the longer brass rod. pics can be misleading but it looks like the brass rod is already bent.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Maybe you could find a small enough worm similar to those used to pull muzzleloader bullets from a dead chamber attached to a cleaning rod to pull it out from the barrel end. The bristles are wedged in there so trying to beat it back out the chamber end ain’t gonna be easy. Pretty much has to come out the same direction it was pulled through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
220 Posts
This, want to pull not push, only pack it in there tighter. Do a Google search, off and on guys have had them break off, not a fun time.

·
44,823 Posts
Pour some Kroil down there and let it soak. I never had the desire to use one of those for this reason..

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
This, want to pull not push, only pack it in there tighter. Do a Google search, off and on guys have had them break off, not a fun time.
^^^^ This.

You can only pull it.
Trying to shove it back through will only compress it into your nightmares.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Contact the maker of the boresnake ,explain the situation,and ask if there is a solvent for the plastic.......if its cotton ,then hot caustic soda will dissolve it .......the barrel will also suffer no consequences if enough heat is applied to burn out the material...........just ask on a forum about soldered on sights.........but resoldering the sights may be un avoidable.......in my experience of stuck patches and broken pullthroughs ,any attempt to drive out with a steel rod will gouge the bore,as will an endevour to drill out without using a brass drill bushing the prevent the long drill gouging the bore on one side.

·
Registered
610 Posts
This will not help with your problem (there have already been lots of good suggestions made in this thread), but, whatever you do, you may want to be careful not do damage the rifling in the muzzle area (the photo looks a bit "risky" in that regard). Namely, I wouldn't rub any metal against the bore at an angle, no matter whether it's steel, brass, aluminum, etc. Of course, your priority right now is getting the stuck object out, but afterwards (once you have that thing out) you don't want to regret having damaged the rifle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Note to self: NO BORESNAKES!

·
Silver Bullet member
48,437 Posts
Put it in deep freezer After oiled..contractions extensions of metal my loosen it enough that oil can seep the lubricants ?<>< dan

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use boresnakes on occasion and find them to be convenient and effective, but that is because I am intelligent enough to select the right size, and discard them when they show signs of wear. I have a few and they are kept in marked containers so that the size of each is known making it less likely to mistakenly use the wrong one. Like anything, they can be misused or abused creating more headaches that necessary. Of course, the other issue is quality of the materials. There are lots of knock-offs available. Make sure you are buying genuine, name brand products.

Some have a connector for a brush or jag on the ends. Seems to me that it may be possible to insert a rod into it for retrieval if so equipped.

I will usually run a boresnake with some solvent through any rifle that has fired corrosive ammunition before leaving the range. This makes cleaning much easier when I get home.

If the rifle has a rough bore, better to keep boresnakes out of it, IMO. Rough spots on the lands could act like a saw, damaging the snake as it is pulled through the barrel and giving it opportunities to snag.

Otherwise, they save time and take up little space in the range bag.

At home, the carbon fiber, one piece rod is used to clean the barrels well before being put away.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,436 Posts
Acetone will likely melt the nylon if that's what's holding it in. I'd use a wooden dowel, not a steel rod to press it out, though.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
A few years ago, just for general information I contacted a couple of bore snake makers and asked what process they recommended for extracting a broken snake..... they had none.

Pressing usually won't work, ever tried to push a string?

I don't think Acetone will dissolve nylon. The danger with nylon is that it melts under heat and some chemicals and will glue it to the bore in an even worse mess.

I'd suggest the best option that won't risk the bore is the above idea of using a version of a black powder patch puller.
You'd have to make one similar to the type that are not just screws but are sharp wire hook-like projections.
Insert it down the bore, rotate it until it catches the snake then pull it out in pieces.
You might be able to make one from a bore brush by cutting off the bristles and opening up the twisted wire core, then filing the ends to sharp points.

If you use it so you're not trying to move the snake back out against the bristles you may be able to get a good enough bite that you can extract the whole thing.
Otherwise it's going to be pulling it out a piece at a time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don’t know which way he was going but you DON’T want to go the opposite way. The wires in the brush are already laying in one direction, you need to push in the same direction with a lot of oil. You also want to clean the bore in front of the snake, it must have been pretty bad. Good luck. Just a wag but I wonder if a blank would blow it out after a bore cleaning and plenty of oil? Figure out a way to get some compressed air behind it?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
SWAG, nothing more.
Penetrating oil from both ends, leave it overnight (or longer).
THIN wood screw about .22" dia.
Epoxy it into a spare cleaning rod section after cutting the head off.(it should fit if its thin enough.) then screw & pull. You can't "PUSH" a pull-through out it must be pulled. Think Chinese handcuffs!

Failing that try this:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=70409

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,170 Posts
Maybe you could find a small enough worm similar to those used to pull muzzleloader bullets from a dead chamber attached to a cleaning rod to pull it out from the barrel end. The bristles are wedged in there so trying to beat it back out the chamber end ain’t gonna be easy. Pretty much has to come out the same direction it was pulled through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My thought. Use the grappling hook to catch some of it, and pull it out. May have to do it a bit at a time. Are these billable hours?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts