Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a question. I'm looking to get a bore slugging kit so I can slug the bores on some of my milsurps, but I can't find them anywhere. I'm specifically interested in something for the .30 caliber. I've seen some kits for the larger calibers, but not for the .30. Does anybody make them and where might I find them? Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most folk I know that have done this (including myself) was to use sinkers from the sporting good section of wally world or store of your choice. I think I used #3 lead sinkers and some wood dowel >(smaller than your pinky figger)stock smaller of course than your barrel dia. place a little grease on the lead sinker (weight), place it in the mussel end of your barrel (with bolt removed of course) use soft head hammer to drive the sinker with the wooden dowel to the chamber, then measure it with a accurate device (ie a mic/calipers). This is the basics of doing. There is a lot of info out there, many methods as well. Good luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. As many times as I've been to 7.62x54R.com I can't believe I didn't see that! Duh!! Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
761 Posts
OO buckshot works great. I used to use lead sinkers but now prefer buckshot, it's .320 in diameter and pure lead, works great.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
As a hand-loader, I have done this "bunches" of times with my muzzleloaders and any weapon that I am "serious" about. All you need to slug is last 5-6 inches of barrel from the muzzle end. It is much, MUCH easier to do than the entire barrel. If there is a questiion concerning the condition of the barrel, you may want to run the whole thing, but it's not usually necessary. Remember, your only going to get a reading on the tightest portion, anyway.

I suggest, tap it in about 5-6 " from the muzzle, then tap it back out from the chamber end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.