Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Delete no! Remove yes! Clean it with a good bore cleaner/solvent apply oil! Shoot it repeat as needed! I've gone to using a bore snake as they seem to clean alot better! I use fine steel wool on a bore brush /oil and slow speed drill to clean up My one G98/40 that have some rust in it's chamber!

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts
I have dot that had a cruddy looking bore... The lands were prominent so I knew I had a chance to make it shootable...

The first brush trip down the bore resulted in a powdery puff of red dust. I let hoppes #9 sit over night and then used a brass brush and plenty of hot water and alternating patches in the utility tub. Went to the range and put 50 rounds through the barrel and recleaned. It is all shiny now... still has some frosting but even that is shinny...

I used a M1 Garrand chamber brush with attached ratchet cleaning handle to do the chamber.

Display big picture only:

Original thread showing target results from range trip...
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...-H-band-and-Green-Colored-Glue-Laminate-Stock

·
Gold Bullet member
500 Posts
Don't overlook electrolysis to clean a rusted bore and chamber. The advantage of electrolysis is that it actually has some restorative benefits to the oxidized metal.
Just do a search on Electrolysis on this forum and you'll find a step by step process that is actually rather cheap to set up and run. Use a D cell flashlight as your power source and there is no danger of shock and its a nice slow process to reclaim some of the rusted metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts