Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am about to join the club of K31 owners. I am waiting on a 1953 model with second group of serial numbers. Question: If the dings are put there by boots what were the reason for the Swiss putting the dings in the stock or what were they doing? If not, then was it shipping or what?

John

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,982 Posts
The best explanation of the butt wood damage was due to some kind of goofy drill the Swiss persisted in conducting that involved slapping the butt of the rifle around against cleated boots. I've also read that cobblestone paving took a toll on steel buttplates. Also, moisture damage was due to parade-stacking the rifles out in the snow.

All are plausable explanations. This type of lax treatment to such a fine firearm is not found in conjunction with German, Finnish, Danish, Russian, or any other snowbound military forces' firearms. It would certainly NOT be tolerated by YOUR DI, & should you so abuse your issued rifle, there would be great mental & physical discomfort heaped upon your person.

My personal opinion is that the Swiss simply didn't care about the physical appearance of their weapons, or otherwise had lax/low standards for field discipline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wood damage

I have always felt the mosture damage was from snow because water would not have allowed all the readable name tags to exist and the knicks were from boots kicking off the snow. Wiping off the snow with your gloves was not a good thing to do in freezing weather and obviously the kicks did not affect the rifles accuracy.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nah the buttstock is hanging complete free in that M44 backpack so that is not the reason for the wear near the buttplate, the only place where that one could cause extra damage is at the spot where it's tight together with that ice-pick.
Even when you put that backpack including the rifle down the butt won't touch the ground.

Guisan.:)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
I wonder if the idea was that buttstocks could easily be replaced, so not much attention was paid to the wear the Swiss soldiers put them through.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I was just thinking about guys sitting on it when they stop for a break. Looks like anyway you look at it, these guys were not terribly concerned about how the stock looked, just about how it shot!

Kind of like my old Glock 22 duty weapon, all function, no flash! :)

Just wondered, have you ever looked through the (translated) soldier's manual ?

Just give it a try here and let me know if you still think about it the same way...
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/english_k11_k31_manual.pdf

Guisan.:)

·
Registered
878 Posts
The K-31 that I have money down on is discolored about 4-5 inches up from the butt, I would go with the snow doing the damage, softening up the wood, and then any little bump and ding would damage it!

I just thought of this question as I was posting, which is a harder wood Walnut, or Beech, I don't own any Beech stocked firearms, just wondering?

AKA SCHMIDT SHOOTER on Swissrifles forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.