Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Book Review: "A Frozen Hell: The Russo Finnish Winter War 39-40" by William Trotter

I finally finished this book a few days ago. I had bought it almost four months ago and was finally able to read it inbetween classes. I truly did not want to put this book down once I began to read it.
I fully enjoyed this book and thought it was very very interesting in the fact the book not only covers the soldiers of the Finnish Army, it tells of the events which led to the war, the actions of other countries during the war, and the factors which led to the Finland begrudgedly signing the treaty which would finally end the war between the two countries. But this treaty was only for a little while.
If you are looking for a good book about the Finnish people and their struggle for independence and their need for a free country, I would seriously read this book. It is filled with some great pictures if youre also looking for those.

Title of the book is
A Frozen Hell:A Story About the Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-40

Written by William Trotter. Anyone else recommend a good Finnish Book???

·
Registered
290 Posts
I too have all but completed the Book and I agree it is very Good.
Looking for my NEXT Read Pertaining to the FINNS and the Winter War now as well..

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Any first person opinions on weapons issued or captured by them? Always thrilled to read a book that get the info straight from the soldiers involved.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Not really. There is a mention of the SVT38 but minor.

Try Finland At War - my book. There is more weapon info there than any other on the subject of the wars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I found the book very informative. Researching for this book must have been intense to say the least. This is a book that the reader really needs to pay attention and follow along closely as there is a massive amount of information to comprehend. Try to read it without being distracted or you'll find yourself re-reading certain parts like I had too in an attempt to keep the facts straight. Great read though - highly recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts