Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for years for this book and it was finaly released a few weeks back! This is the ultimate study of the Bulgarian military uniforms for the 1879-1945 period.

The author, Mr. Alexander Vachkov, worked for many years on it. He is a graduate of the Bulgarian Academy of Fine Arts and an officer with the Bulgarian Army. He is the biggest authority on uniforms and designed the current uniforms for the Bulgarian Guards units. Mr. Vachkov had access to military and state archives closed to normal people. The book includes rare photos, detailed descriptions from contemporary manuals and orders, as well as paintings, which the author created himself. There are detailed sketches, drawings and photos of the uniforms themselves, as well as their shoulder boards, chevrons, epaulets, patches, badges, cockades and other insignia and accessories. This topic is (was) very difficult for me. Even though I had many archive photos, they show a huge variety of newer and older uniforms and without a structured work like this book it's impossible to establish which uniforms are correct for a given period. Now everything is sorted out!

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are a few more pictures.

The book is large size, 8.5"x11", glossy paper, hard cover, 230 pages. Heck, I liked it so much that I bought more than one!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
Hi Nick,

Fantastic! Absolutely a must have for some of us without question. Now my friend, how does one go about obtaining a copy of this excellent work? I'm lucky in that Valentina can read about 95% of written Bulgarian and I can acquire a dictionary if necessary to cover the last 5%.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now my friend, how does one go about obtaining a copy of this excellent work?
Hi John!

Check out the last picture - it shows three copies. One is yours, I bought it for you. :)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Hey Nick,
That helps John out, but how do I get mine? What is the price tag on this book, John is right that Russian is much like Bulgarian, and most of the terms used by the military are similar in most languages.
Best
Gus

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gustaf,

Check your PM.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
Hi John!

Check out the last picture - it shows three copies. One is yours, I bought it for you. :)

Thanks Nick!

Payment will be in the mail tomorrow my friend!......EXCELLENT!.......Can't thank you enough!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Devo,

I asked the author, he will check with the publisher. The book was printed in 500 copies only, I received some of the author's copies.

·
Super Moderator
11,759 Posts
Hi Nick,

Checks in the mail Bud! Thank you again!!!!!

I'll let you know when it arrives.

Thanks!

John

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Nick,
You would definitely be the man to do the English translation, you know the terms in both languages. You should get with the author & see if he has any interest.

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darrell,

I will ask him, but it would be a good idea if you find a few other buyers to share the shipping and Western Union transfer fees. With a single book you will end up with a high price.

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could you buy a few more from the author?

dg13
Darrell,

If you are still interested, I got two more copies of this monograph from the author. These were the last copies (out of 500 printed), which I just brought from Bulgaria.

·
Super Moderator
11,759 Posts
Hello Gents,

Still can't thank you enough Nick. This is an excellent work on a subject that is rather obscure in terms of English language sources. In my case, I'm fortuneate in that Valentina can translate passages for me on an as required basis. But I would imagine that with today's translation programs, you should be able to glean enough accurate information.

There are lots of photos and beautiful artists illustrations of the various uniforms and their evolution over time. It was in this book that I found confirmation that the Bulgarian ferashka I acquired from Brian Calkins is indeed a WWI example and NOT a later issue version, as was suggested by our good budy and fellow Forum member deadjune.

Well worth the money IMHO. Best of luck Darrell. Always a pleasure Bud.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... This is an excellent work on a subject that is rather obscure in terms of English language sources..
John,

I highly value your rating of this book! The copies I offered are still available, let me know if you or anyone else wants the book.

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gentlemen,

I have two spare copies of this unique monograph, which is extremely well illustrated and easy to understand even without knowing the language. Please, contact me if you are interested in one.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Gentlemen,

I have two spare copies of this unique monograph, which is extremely well illustrated and easy to understand even without knowing the language. Please, contact me if you are interested in one.
Nick, I've been waiting for those who collect uniforms to claim them, but I'll take one of these, if they're still there.
And, can I highjack your thread for a moment? You also, as I recall, have the Bulgarian & Hungarian hand grenade book, which I still need to get. I recently picked up this grenade, which the seller identified as Hungarian, but it looks like the Bulgarian models I've seen. With the handle reading 5 1/2 C rather than 5 1/2 S, I thought it may be Bulgarian. can you ID it, and the time frame for it? thanks.

John

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
John,

Bulgarian stick grenades were developed after WWI. Before that the Bulgarian-made grenades were all spheres, egg-shaped and even cubes. Yours is a "Offensive Hand Grenade RB" (RB = ръчна бомба, hand bomb). This one was made sometime between 1920 and 1950; sometimes the mfg date was stamped on the handle. See respective scans, the text is in both English & Bulgarian:

(And you have a PM)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts