Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening gentlemen,
I have what I think are a 38 TS and a 38 cavalry carbine . Both have matching numbers on the barrel and stock, but neither have a number on the bolt that indicates" matching" . So what point if ever did the bolts have numbers. Pics will follow as soon as I can get them cleaned up a bit, they have quite a bit of grime and dried grease from being stashed in someone's basement for a while. Also the Calvary carbine has 2 cleaning rod sections in the butt trap. They are identical. Was this common?

·
Registered
271 Posts
To my knowledge, only Roma made M91 long rifle bolts were numbered to the rifle in WW1. As far as cleaning rods go, They may just be two that arent supposed to be together. One should have a slot at the the top.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Bolts had the serial number on the upper bolt flat until 1919, when the practice was discontinued. This past weekend I picked up what appears to be a Brescia TS reworked by Gardone VT in 1939 from a tromboncino to a 7.35mm 91/38 cav carbine. The bolt is numbered AA 5XXX which is consistent with a 1916 Brescia TS. The piece went through another reconditioning in 1953 or 1958 (hard to make out the last digit) as it has a *** 195? cartouche stamped over the Brescia cartouche. Ralph

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Here are the pics after a little work with clean-up. Also a unusual 38TS cut-away to go with the TS and Cavalry Carbine. Any info on this is appreciated also.I am a little shocked at the lack of and price of clips, bayonets and slings for these rifles. At one point when I was a kid they were on the tables of gunshows, Army surplus stores, even hardware stores in abundance. Now, geez . I bought these on a whim from an estate sale and glad I did. Also, both the cleaning rods in the Cav Carbine butt were slotted, same design but slightly different. The are not 38TS rods.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,908 Posts
I love the cut-away, great find.
Pat

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,894 Posts
My thought is the cutaway is the work of a man in North Carolina. He does beautiful work but does not sign them. He has a special color red paint but a photo is not good to identify paint colors. He has a web site showing past work (didn't keep it) and has some on Ebay every once in a while. I found his web site after looking at an Ebay item.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again thanks for the info. I do not know the origin of the cutaway as it was a private party sale. He'd did not know the origin either, bought at an auction several years prior, in North Carolina. It's very well done. Only research I have uncovered is similar rifles in the Enfield Museum in Leeds. Same pattern of cut away areas and same red paint highlight to cuts. Some of the trigger and bolt parts are either polished or case hardened finish. This sample is actually 7.9 marked receiver ring, but appears to have a dummy 6.5 round ( also a cutout) chambered. Came with a brass clip inserted with demilled/dummy 7.9 rounds. I would appreciate any other info on its possible origin If you come across it. It does make for a nice 3 gun display set, only lacking another sling for the 38TS and bayonet. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts