Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Can anyone help me as to the model number of Lyman or PH aperture sights that were produced many years ago to fit Mauser sporting rifles?
I believe there was one that mounted to the cocking piece and another that took the place of the bolt stop.
Any pictures or links would be appreciated,

Cheers,

GDU

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I looked at these, only I am put off by the fact they must be drilled and tapped.
However If I cannot find an old original bolt mounted one then this may be the next best thing.

Cheers,

GDU

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Lyman Cocking Piece sights were Model 1A , Model 2A and Model #103. Both 1A and 2A were elevation adj. only. Mod 1A had a small fold down peep in front of the standing arpeture, while #2A was supplied with a removeable screw in eye disc. Lyman #103 was a cocking piece sight for bolt rifles that had both elevation and windage adj. in the site. NONE of the sites were numbered or model designated marked as far as I know. All have a male dovetail base that attaches the site to the rear of the bolt. On the Springfield and Krag rifles, the cocking piece of the rifle was modified directly by cutting/machining the needed female dovetail into it and the site was driven laterally into the dovetail. On Mausers and Mannlichers, a special adapter extension cup was supplied to be attached over the end of the cocking piece. That extension was already machined to accept the site dovetail. I have seen Mannlichers with the cocking piece itself modified to take the site though.
>
I have a Lyman #1A mounted on a 1910 Mannlicher Schoenaur and a loose #1A destined for a Springfield sporter project.
>
The Parker Hale Bolt Peep was the 'Sportarget No.1 Bolt Peep" for Mauser 98. I believe it came with a it's own cocking piece to be installed in the owners bolt. I'm not that familiar with the PH sites though I will admit!.
Hope this all helps...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe you don't need to drill and tap to install one of those standard-type Lyman or Redfield sights to the receiver bridge. I'm about to install a Lyman to the receiver bridge of a Turk Mauser using Acra-glas gel; will let you know how it turns out. However, since I've installed scope bases the same way, I have no doubt the sight will stay put.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Lyman receiver site that replaced the bolt stop on the Mauser 98 rifle was the Model No. 35 Receiver Sight.
>
They also made a couple similar ones with a swinging top arm for the split receiver Mannlicher Schoenauer, Russian M91, Haenel sporters, etc. ,, Model No.22, and No. 36.
They all show up on internet sales once in a while and at shows from dealers selling sites and accessorys. I just bought another Lyman #1a over the weekend at a show. Cost was $120 from a dealer. Tough to find cocking piece sights and early receiver sites of any variety. So if you like them for your custom rifle projects like I do, get them when ever and where ever you can.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Origin Lyman sights for cocking pieces go for pretty steep prices, I think
I saw one go on ebay (with a Springfield 1903 firing pin) for $275 (US).
I've sometimes thought about buying a chearper and not very rare Lyman tang sight and doing a bit of machining to turn it into a cocking piece sight.
So if you have friends with access to milling machines and maybe lathes as well....

The Pacific Sight company produced a bolt sleeve sight for the Moisin-Nagant
(Model R1) and for the P14/Model 1917 (Model EN6).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They certainly are very close.
These appear to be modeled more along the lines of a Rigby than Lyman but would do the job nicely, thanks for the link.

GDU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two tapped and drilled holes on the receiver rear right side is all that is needed to attach a Williams K98 receiver peep. It comes with two apertures. Kind of funky because it's aluminum, the Lyman is probably better, but I was on a tight budget when I mounted the Williams on a re-triggered, re-stocked Sauer 1940 K98. $40 for the 'smith to drill and tap. I had my buddy weld up the front sight high and shot and filed until I had it squared off and dialed 2" high @ 100 yards. Over the years I have seen Lyman screw post aperture sights, the kind that fold down, on M98 and Springfield sporting rifles. They always seemed just right when I looked down the barrel. The few I have seen were drilled and tapped into the cocking piece.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Lyman Bolt Peep on 1910 M/S

Here's a couple of pics of a Lyman B/P site on my 1910M/S
>
Too rainy to take the other pics I wanted to, so I thought these might be interesting since I already had them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts