Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up from my good friend of mine; has his first child on the way and they need baby stuff. It was an attic find.

Matched down to the screws save bolt and unmarked cleaning rod. Heavy patina, bore is OK with strong rifling but fine pitting the whole length. Obvious reproduction sling, original muzzle cover.

T

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Very nice early example. How come my attic does not have such to be found?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your house old enough? There was nothing is my first house's attic; it was built in 1879. When my wife and I move in 3-5 years for the last time to another smallish old house, I hope to find something.

T

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Is your house old enough? There was nothing is my first house's attic; it was built in 1879. When my wife and I move in 3-5 years for the last time to another smallish old house, I hope to find something.

T
No, my house is actually too new. The last time I lived in a house that had a likely attic was when I was in fourth grade. :(

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have lived in several houses old enough. Current one is 1928. Not sure who exactly was buying houses then?

Very nice rifle. Makes me want to gut my attic. I think I would feel as though I died and went to heaven if I found a rifle like that.

Thanks for sharing.

suffix on the serial?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The proofs used by each maker vary slightly throughout production, so by comparing to known examples you can narrow down production.

For example Mauser use WaA655 in early production 98k, that changed to WaA135 later on, so I know that a 98k part marked 135 is not from early production

Would you mind sharing?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quick clarification: Bavaria used the Lion for the firing proof on its weapons. Saxony used an eagle like Prussia, and Württemberg used an antler. Acceptance stamps are harder to track, but there are some that Paul S. has trended, like ones on bolts, receivers, and stock wrists.

For Imperial Germany, we use Fracturs, or image stamps. For example, Saxony used a Lion.

T

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I appreciate the response, but maybe I should have expanded a little further. I asked the question because some very relevant information was left out.

Based on this photograph, I was asking how you knew it was from a 16' DWM.

Your creating a situation for someone who comes along and looks at the thread and is missing the key information.

Maybe you were having discussion with folks outside of the thread, I do not know, but for those of us looking at the thread it helps to include all the relevant information.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a nice addition to your collection...congrats! As for your post #12, Im failing to make out anything recognizable from those stamps...Too bad someone doesn't take the time to document those marks and post it for others who aren't experts(like me) My collection has any number of unintelligible markings on them Id love to be able to decipher...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.