Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this handle came as a spare with one of my rifles. I was never sure if it should be on the rifle or if the mismatched serial numbered one should more properly be there. the knob looks like cast steel and is a separate piece from the handle root itself. . Is it a repaired one, a reclaimed ex-sniper one, or did Bubba just di a good job of welding and fitting? I put a magnet on it and it is all steel. Seems like a lot of trouble for Bubba to go to, but one never knows. BTW, the bidy of the handle appears to be Ishevsk, and has no serial number. The rifle is Ishevsk as well.

Thanks.

Doby

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
I agree that it's a (mostly) unrefurbed 42-43 bolt handle. Of course, the serial section is scrubbed, so it's smoother. At that time, the rough forged bolt blanks didn't receive any finish machining at all, and only the minimum of initial machining in non-critical areas. Check out this unrefurbed '43 bolt:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gentlemen. I just the bolt back where it belongs then, back in my '23 ex-Dragoon. Somebody had probably installed the earlier bolt in it, and I would guess that this is the one that has been with it the longest. I think the previous owner was trying to "improve" it. With its pressed-in escutcheons, this one looks to have been through several iterations in its lifetime - though maybe not as many as a typical Finn. This is one of the few I have that isn't a Finn.I showed photos of it a few days ago but here it is again to see what I mean.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
interesting to find that rough of a bolt on a 1923. Usually the parts are nicely finished and are post war replacements. Rough bolts are usually orginal to the rifles of the era of late 41-43

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, and its stock has pressed in escutcheons. I always assumed it was done post-war. Maybe a late-war refurb to get it ready for Berlin? Never could figure out why an early one came in that stock unless it was a refurb. I always assumed it got its patina on the stock in one of the satellite countries. Maybe not? this one was used a lot after being refurbed even into that stock. I see no evidence of any shellac remaining at all if it ever had it.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Spax. That $125 is looking like a better purchase than I certainly thought it was when I bought it, lol. One of the few times it paid to be ignorant.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blind squirrels and acorns, Spax. I always say I would rather be lucky than smart. When it comes to Mosins - I better be lucky, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts