Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to share a few photos of my Boer Mauser collection. I did not take most of these photos but I assure you that I do own them.

The first 4 pictures is my Ludwig and Loewe ZAR Mauser. It is a B series and all matching. This was my first Boer Mauser.

Next is my ZAR DWM long Mauser with an OVS stock. It is all matching except for the stock. I wonder how that happened. I also do not know who JHN is.

The next 4 is an OVS Ludwig and Loewe Rifle with a L.L. Monogram. It is all matching and is the crown jewel of my collection.

Next is another ZAR Ludwig and Loewe Rifle. It is all matching and has an original sling and muzzle cover. It is all matching with the exception of the muzzle cover.

The next 4 pics is a ZAR DWM Carbine. It is all matching and has the name J.I. Mc Millan scratched into the side of the stock. I was able to trace a PVT JI Mc Millian of the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles in the Canadian archives. He was awarded the listed as serving in the Cape Colony, Transvaal and South Africa 1902. I have attached the honor roll that he is listed on.

The last Rifle is a ZAR Chilean. It is a C series that is within the range of the Boer Contract. It is matching but looks like it was rebuilt at one time.

Finally pictured is an 1896 Transvaal Bayonet. It seems that there were only about 400 made and only about 50 of them made it to South Africa.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have lusted in my heart, but have repented and all is well :) That's great stuff there...thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very nice collection.Do you have the books " Carvings from the Veldt" by Dave George and "Small arms of the Boer War" by Ron Bester? Worth buying .You may want to contact Mr. George for his 2nd edition.Very nice rifles.I especially like the bayonet,don't see them very often.I have a reprint of Bannermans 1927 catalog in it they sell for around $2.50.Thats the closest I have come to getting one.Thank you for sharing your excellent collection with us. Mark

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Interesting! I grew up in South Africa, and we used to find lots of 7mm expended bullets in this one undeveloped area where a few battles where fought. We also had a fort next to my primary school with big Martiny Henry holes in the metal firing ports. My great Grandfather fought in the Boer war, and my grandfather had a medal from him. I have never seen any Boer mausers before though. I wonder what happened to them all, did the bloody english confiscate them all after the war? All my uncles had SMLE's or Lee Metforts, but I do not remember anybody with a mauser.

·
Registered
519 Posts
As you probably know, a fellow called Dave George (ex-South African, now in Australia) published a nice book at his own expense, "Carvings from the Veld", documenting carved Boer War rifles. He had such a positive response that he has been collecting details on more carved rifles, and will be publishing another book soon. Whilst there is no pay-back for including your rifle, having it in a book can't hurt its value, can it?
If anyone knows of any that Dave George may not yet have a handle on, can you contact him by email? No harm in mentioning things he may already have, completeness requires some duplication along the way.
He is [email protected]

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Were all Boer Mausers delivered with the bayonet pictured? I have a bayonet that appears to be a Chilean m95, but doesn't have the stamp, thought it may have been for a Boer?

·
Registered
519 Posts
David, Redleg is correct when he says the bayonets were very, very rare. Mainly used for garrison of the Johannesburg and Pretoria fort for guard duty. There is no recorded use of the Boers using bayonets in battle.
Dave George emailed me to point out that the Mauser carved "JHN" was in fact featured in his book "CARVINGS from the VELDT" (page 73 - Fig. 78).
My book can now be purchased as a "Buy Now" on ebay (only just listed last week).
The book is listed under the Catagory:
Books - Non Fiction - Military War - Weapons.
Item No: 180169498120 Cost = Aus $65.00 plus post (via paypal).
cheers
Rob

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
The 1896 part is correct, however, it's an M.1896 Swedish bayonet for the 6.5 mm Swedish Mauser long rifle. A Boer association is extremely unlikely unless this single bayonet was hand-carried to South Africa and used by a Swedish volunteer. These bayonets have been in the USA and Canada in bulk since the first long Swedish M1896's were imported fifty years ago. I would suspect that a little misguided folklore may have developed around this piece.
Regards,
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts