Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would recommend a 3A Vest with uparmor trauma insert. Mine weighs about 8 pounds with a nice carrier as well and is easily concealable.

·
Registered
846 Posts
56lbs without ammo/magazines in pouches.
Yep. Level IIIa and as light as possible is the way to go. I don't plan on doing a whole lot where vertical cover rules but rather stick to the horizontal.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I agree "stick to horizontal". A few nights ago I watched my DVD of "Stagecoach" where in the last few minutes of the movie John Wayne as the Ringo Kid went belly down on a dark street when faced by three bad guys who stood vertical a few yards away. With his Winchester Ringo sent each one of them off to meet their maker. If I'm ever faced with such a situation, I'd want to present as small a target as possible and in the dark if possible just as Ringo did that dark night.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would go hard plate level 3+, it can stop 5.56 green tips. There's allot of that stuff out there now. You have to decide if weight and/or multi hit is more important. Most ceramic produced now is multi hit too though. AR500 and AR650 can take a few more hits than most ceramic.

I have several level 3 carriers and some AR500 plates but they sit in my backup stock.

I run ceramic level lv large sapi plates made in Canada with a JPC rig and HSGI gel shoulder pads. It weighs 20.6lbs with 3 loaded HK53 mags. It's light weight and very easy to shoulder a firearm comfortably(the most important thing for me). My next setup will be a Crye SPC with Hesco 3615 plates.

I would recommend three companies:

Hesco
Rma
Tactical Scorpion: I think these are the best deal going right now for level 3+ plates for 10x12 weighing 4.6 pounds in a swimmer's cut. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Scorpion-Gear-Body-Armor-Plates-Level-III-3-EXTREME-PE-Size-Choice/283927284806

·
Silver Bullet member
48,496 Posts
Sale them umbrellas..white one..doesn’t matter..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts