·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big commander Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
He received fresh laundry, so the need isn't so high to send a huge bundle to the Heimat.
It's charming to see what he asks his wife to send to him.

Poginki, 22/8/1916
Mein liebes Rosalchen.
Heute 2. Briefe N° 220 u(nd) 221 erhalten und 3. Päktchen, eins von Else geschrieben mit Kuchen und N° 218 u(nd) 219 mit Wäsche habe mich sehr darüber gefreut und sage Euch Allen vielen Dank. Auch Feldpostbriefe und Zeitungen erhielt ich.
Ich bin heute noch auf Wache da nicht genügend Leute zum Ablösen da sind, da müssen wir nun bleiben bis morgen, da hat es mit dem grossen Paket noch einige Tage Zeit ehe ich dazu komme.
Wenn du mir wieder etwas schicktst so send mir einen Tintenstift* mit, auch einen kleinen Taschenspiegel, da der andere kaput gegangen ist und ein kl(eines) Schnapsglas** da dass andere auch in Stücke ist und ich dass andere mit dem Portwein immer aufhebe (here in the sense of “to save”) damit ich etwas habe wenn der Magen einmal nicht stimmt, wir bekommen hier jetzt manchmal 1/10 l(iter?) Schnaps und da weiss ich nun nicht wo ich hin damit soll.
Da habt Ihr aber Lauferen (in the sense of “to run to and fro”) mit dem Gesuch und am Ende ist es doch umsonst.
Strümpfe habe ich zwei Paare da.
Mir geht es soweit gut wass ich von dir lieben Rosalchen unsern kl(einen) Walter auch hoffe und grüsse und küsse dich 1000 mal dein treuer Karl.
Viele Grüsse an deine Eltern.

*I suppose he means the kind of crayon (anilin) he uses to write his letters with.
** Here I'm a bit confused, we could think about a "small glass", but doesn't he mean a "small bottle"? We need a German to explain, although an Alaskan will do.
Ubique fidelis et fortis

The Expert Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

I'm happy with "Poginki" today. The place name is clearly written. BigCom: That word is "Lauferei"...the same meaning, of course.

Also, he appears to state that his application for leave has been rejected..is that your interpretation, as well?

August 22, 1916

My dear little Rosa!

Today I received 2 letters, Numbers 220 and 221 and three packages, one sent by Else with cake and number 218 and 219 with laundry. I was very happy [to receive them] and thank you all very much. I also received letters [from other soldiers] and newspapers.

I am once again standing guard. Since there are not enough personnel to replace us, we will have to stay until the morning. Therefore it will be a few days before I will be able to get around to sending you the large package.

When send you me another package, could you send me a indelible [ink] pencil, also a small pocket mirror (as the other is broken) and a small schnapps jar, because the first one has also shattered. I use the other jar to keep my port wine in, so that I have a some if my stomach starts bothering me. Since we also are now occasionally receiving a deciiliter ration of schnapps here, I don't have anything anymore in which to contain it.

You have had quite a bit of running around with this application, and it all has been in vain.

I have two pairs of socks here.

Otherwise I am doing well, and I hope the same is true for you and little Walter and I send you 1000 greetings and kisses,

Your Faithful Walter.

This author is truly the Weltmeister of the run-on sentence, so I have taken the liberty of inserting a few periods and other punctuation marks where I'm sure he would have placed them if he wasn't so busy standing watch.

Regards.

Edited by The Expert - 04 Sep 2007 at 5:47pm
CCW permits?? We live in Alaska. We don't need no stinkin' CCW permits!!
Gunboards member since v1.0

Bayonetcollector Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Yes, he really knows how to keep a sentence going, we've seen that for nearly 50 letters. I wonder if he talked like that too, never ending the sentence? Perhaps he went to school the day they learnt commas, then fell ill and missed the punctuation marks?

Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Gentlemen, this is way off topic but I understand your comments about "long sentences". There was a time such behaviour was considered as a sign of advanced education (especially in Europe). It was an art inspired by Latin/Greek professors and their students. There was a time myself wrote all my letters which consisted of only one sentence (a long one but grammaticaly correct). It is an art and I still like it, but nowadays it's often considered as snobish. A long, correct, sentence can be a masterpiece that must be enjoyed and takes some time to be understood fully. In fact, we considered it as a friendly challenge between "equals".
Karl's letters are not an attempt to impress his readers but are written from the heart, simple and direct, like we all would do in writing to our family. He uses commas were he should use full stops, but ... it keeps our minds sharp.

Edited by Big commander - 04 Sep 2007 at 6:51pm
Ubique fidelis et fortis

Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Yes Expert, I forgot to mention it but his application seems indeed to be gone "to the dogs".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts