Gunboards Forums banner

Bochröder post 48 from old board

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Bayonetcollector 
#1 ·
Big commander Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
I think the place he is writing from is "Poginki" .
In searching there was also a link that could be of interest to some members who are interested in the mail of the Austro-Hungarian army, you will be in the middle of it somewhere by clicking on the following:
http://www.kitzbuhel.demon.co.uk/austamps/dixnut/dn6d2.htm
More could be found about the place but I can't read/understand Polish.

Edited by Big commander - 03 Sep 2007 at 3:44pm
Ubique fidelis et fortis

Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

No ammo but looking for a laundromat.

Poginki, 21/8/16
Mein liebes Rosalchen!
Viele Grüsse an deine Eltern.
Heute bin ich nun wieder auf Wache, erhalte dadurch die Post erst morgen, doch will ich dich dir heute schreiben sonst erhältst du den Brief einen Tag später und machst dir wieder Kummer.
Ich gehe jetzt, wenn ich es haben kann, lieber auf Wache, da habe ich mehr Ruhe, brauch mich nicht so anzustrengen und da die Wache allemal blos einen Tag ist so hat man die folgende Nacht Ruhe.
Dieser Tage will ich, wenn ich Zeit dazu habe und wenn grosse Pakete von hier gehen, die Wäsche zurück schicken. Die ist sehr dre(c)kig da wirst du staunen.
Ist das Gesuch unterschrieben worden und ist es abgegangen? Du darfst (dürfst) nun nicht denken dass ich etwa gleich Urlaub erhalte. Dass kann Oktober oder November werden. Dass kommt darauf an ob das Gesuch genehmigt wird vom Hauptman und wie viele noch da sind.
In der Hoffnung, dass es dir liebes Rosalchen unsern kl(einen) Walter, den Eltern Else u(nd) Walter gut geht grüsst und küsst dich 1000 mal dein Karl.
Ubique fidelis et fortis

Bayonetcollector Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Oh yes, sending your extremely dirty underwear to the woman you love... What could be more romantic???

Poginki, 21st of august 1916
My dear little Rosa!
Many greetings to your parents.
Today I'm again on watch duty, because of that I will not get mail until tomorrow, though I will write to you today, otherwise you will get the letter one day later and will worry again. At the moment, if I can, I prefer to do watch duty, then I get more calm, do not have to work so hard and as standing watch is only one day then one can rest the next night. One of these days I will, if I have time for it and if I can ship large parcels from here, send the laundry back. It is very dirty so much so that you'll be astonished. Has the application been signed and has it been sent? Though you should not hope that I'll get leave anyday soon. It could be October or November before that happens. It depends on whether the Hauptmann approves it and how many more there are. In the hope that you, dear little Rosa, our little Walter, the Parents, Else and Walter are fine, your Karl greets and kisses you a thousand times.

Edited by Bayonetcollector - 03 Sep 2007 at 5:28pm

The Expert Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

There appears to be another letter in front of the "g", so I am not sure that Poginki is the correct translation.

My dear little Rosa!

Many greetings to your parents.

Today I am once again standing guard duty, therefore I will not get my mail until tomorrow, but I will write to you today lest you receive this letter a day late and worry yourself about it.

I prefer to stand guard now, when I can, because I get more rest, and don't need to exert myself so much. Also, since guard duty lasts only one day, that means I get the following night off. These days I will ship my laundry back to you, when I have the time and when large parcels can be shipped from here. It is so dirty that you will be amazed.

Has the application been signed and sent? Don't get your hopes up that I will get leave anytime soon, though. It might be October or November. That depends on the Captain approving the application, and on how many men we still have here.

In the hope that you , dear little Rosa, our little Walter, the parents, Else and Walter are all doing well, I send to you 1000 kisses and greetings,

Your Karl

Edited by The Expert - 04 Sep 2007 at 4:59pm
CCW permits?? We live in Alaska. We don't need no stinkin' CCW permits!!
Gunboards member since v1.0

Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Yes Expert, the name of this haunted place is a nail in my coffin. One day I will know for sure but BC has all the letters ( and, as I know it, there are a few more to come). This said, I tried every possible combination but found only "Poginki" in combination with "Kowel". Aren't there any Polish comrades on this forum who could shed some light? Or do I have to take a piece of bread and some diplomacy and go off to see for myself? I would do it, but the chief has one eye on me, she knows how I function .
Ubique fidelis et fortis

Bayonetcollector Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Yes, that is the problem for me too... the chief has keen eyes, if only she'd turn myopic, but no such luck...

Well, a new letter is coming up in a few minutes, I hope it might shed some light on what place this is. If it is a small village or a road crossing with a few farms it might not show on the maps or be found on the internet at all. He is within walking distance of a railroad station, but whether the placename is the same as the station or the name of the small place where he is I can't tell...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.