Discussion Starter #1
Big commander Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
Sweat and homesickness, so human!

Progieki, 19/8/1916
Mein liebes Rosalchen!
Heute bis jetzt keine Post erhalten, weis auch nicht ob ich heute etwas erhalte, da ich heute Mittag auf Wache beim Proviantamt gekommen bin und wahrscheinlich erst morgen Post in der Komp(anie) empfange, da muss ich eben warten bis morgen.
Gestern und heute ist es hier wieder sehr heiss, da könnst Ihr Euch denken wie wir gestern bei der Arbeit geschweitzt haben, wir haben 20 Loren (trainlorrries, I suppose these are the “chassis with only axles and wheels” to put goods upon?) ausgeladen, teilweise Säcke von 2 Ctr* die habe ich aber allerdings nicht getragen. Ja mein liebes Rosalchen wie gerne würde ich einmal bei Euch Lieben sein und mit Euch spazieren gehen könnte in unseren Türinger Wald, ja wenn es doch endlich Frieden wäre und ich hier immer zuhause sein könnte, ob der Krieg mir kein Ende finden will, doch wir dürfen immer noch nicht klagen, wenn es so bis zum Ende geht, so können wir nur Gott dankbar sein.
Hat Vater schon ein Gesuch gemacht, oder machen lassen, dass geht hier der Reihe nach und die Landwirte haben jetzt den Vorzug, da kann es immer Oktober oder November werden ehe ich davon komme.
Inder Hoffnung dass es dir liebes Rosalchen unsern kl(einen) Walter, Walter, den Eltern u(nd) Else u(nd) Walter gut geht grüsst und küsst dich 1000 mal dein treuer Karl.
* “”Ctr”: we had this indication of weight before , and had no clue . My (somewhat) educated guess is that we speak about “Zentner/Centner” i.e. 100 pounds (50 Kilograms). It even was, one time, 100 Kilograms. The origin of the word comes from the Latin “Centum” (100).For those who are interested (and understand some German, but it's clear without really understanding I think) an interesting site about ancient distances, surfaces and weight (The Norwegian mile is the longest ever! 11.295 Kilometers, well, well those Norwegians have large boots ): http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/deutsches_mass_und_gewicht.htm

Ubique fidelis et fortis

Bayonetcollector Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Progieki, the 19th of august 1916
My dear Rosalchen!
Today until now I've not gotten any mail, I also don't know whether I'll recieve anything today, as this noon I'm going on watch in the quartermasters stores and will probably not get my mail until tomorrow, then I must wait for the morning. Yesterday and today it is once again very hot here, then you can imagine how we sweated while working yesterday, we unloaded 20 wagons, partly sacks weighing 2 ctr, I've not carried those, though. Yes my dear Rosalchen, how I would like to be with you dears again and walk with you in our Türinger forst, yes if there only was peace again and I could be at home for ever, I wonder if the war will ever come to an end, though we are not to complain, if it goes toward the end, then we can only thank God. Has father made the application yet, or had someone make it, here it goes by the queue and the farmers are given priority, so it may be october or november before I get out of here. In the hope that you, dear Rosalchen, our little Walter, Walter, the parents and Else and Walter are fine your true Karl greets and kisses you a thousand times.

The Expert Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Hello all! I thought I might lend a hand again. I've taken the liberty of tidying up the grammar a bit, as this guy would appear to be the master of the run-on sentence:

My dear Rosalchen!
I've not received any mail yet today, and I also don't know whether I'll receive anything today, as this noon I went on guard duty at the supply depot and will probably not get my mail until I return to my company area tomorrow, therefore I must wait until morning. Yesterday and today it is once again very hot here, so you can imagine how we much we sweated while working yesterday. We unloaded 20 flatcars, some of which was [comprised of] sacks weighing 100 lbs, although I did not have to carry those. Yes, my dear Rosalchen, how I would like to be with my loved ones again and walk with you in our Thüringer forest. Yes, if there only were peace again and I could be at home forever, or [I wonder] whether the war will mean my end. We should not complain, for if things stay this way until the end, then we can only thank God. Has father put in the application yet, or had someone make it? Here we are all put on a waiting list, and the farmers are given priority, so it may be October or November before I get out of here. In the hope that you, dear Rosalchen, our little Walter, Walter, the parents and Else and Walter are fine, and sending you a thousand greetings and kisses, I remain

Yours Faithfully,

Karl

CCW permits?? We live in Alaska. We don't need no stinkin' CCW permits!!
Gunboards member since v1.0

Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Welcome back, Expert. Great to see you here again! As usual you've turned this into better and more precise english than I'm capable of.

The Expert Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

I have an unfair advantage.....I'll bet my Norsk isn't nearly as good as your English.

Regards

CCW permits?? We live in Alaska. We don't need no stinkin' CCW permits!!
Gunboards member since v1.0

Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Oh yes, I cannot sleep at night thinking of how unfair it is...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts