Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you ever seen, or made, a bobbed tokarev hammer? I know its a little tricky because it houses the mainspring, but that hammer profile looks so goofy and incongruous. If it could be sufficiently bobbed the lines would be great. Next job would be to install a more tapered rear sight ;)

If you know of such an example, pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I have to ask: FOR GOD"S SAKE, WHY?

Unless you have one of the import kludge pistols with the UNRELIABLE manual safeties, the well-designed half-cock position with the hammer is the only truly RELIABLE safety the gun has. "bobbing" the hammer would totally destroy your ability to use the half-cock notch.

Additionally, a 'smoother' rear sight is not going to be at all likely to shoot anywhere near where you want if you keep that already pretty short front sight.

Do everybody a favor. Don't ruin your Tokarev. Sell it and use the money to buy any one of about a thousand commercially made handguns out there that already fit your description of 'cool'.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Unless you have one of the import kludge pistols with the UNRELIABLE manual safeties, the well-designed half-cock position with the hammer is the only truly RELIABLE safety the gun has. "bobbing" the hammer would totally destroy your ability to use the half-cock notch.

Additionally, a 'smoother' rear sight is not going to be at all likely to shoot anywhere near where you want if you keep that already pretty short front sight.

Do everybody a favor. Don't ruin your Tokarev. Sell it and use the money to buy any one of about a thousand commercially made handguns out there that already fit your description of 'cool'.
The Zastava M57 has a pretty effective, factory safety. I have no intention of ever using the half-cock notch. If I can find a beater at a good price, I don't feel any harm will be done modifying it. After all, this is a pretty ho-hum, mass produced pistol with no historical provenance.

By smoother rear sight, I don't mean necessarily lower-profile, just less ugly and awkward. Right now the sight stands out and breaks up the profile because it is so tall and thin, something with a wider base that tapers would be more appealing. It's really not difficult to make sights so a number of variations could be experimented with. Thankfully both the sights on the M57 are dovetailed so either could be adjusted.

This is more of a fun gunsmithing project, not to end up with something world class in terms of practical usage. The pistol has very little monetary or historical value so it makes a good platform for tinkering. As an added bonus I generally like the lines (same reason I like the Colt 1903 and FN 1903) with the added benefit of 7.62x25 being a fun little cartridge.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts

+++1

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why stop there? Cocking serrations the entire length of the slide would be cool. A hack-saw should do it.
Better yet,,,A ported slide would look awesome, I'm sure Dremel sells a bit that would work.
If it were mine I'd wire brush the blue off and get a top of the line Rustoleum rattle can, maybe one with metal flake. After that I'd try my hand at engraving, again pretty sure Dremel has a bit that will work.
:barf:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Why stop there? Cocking serrations the entire length of the slide would be cool. A hack-saw should do it.
Better yet,,,A ported slide would look awesome, I'm sure Dremel sells a bit that would work.
If it were mine I'd wire brush the blue off and get a top of the line Rustoleum rattle can, maybe one with metal flake. After that I'd try my hand at engraving, again pretty sure Dremel has a bit that will work.
:barf:

Thank you, great ideas.

Just to keep the purists happy, I will be sure to find a mint, non-import TT-33 to work on. After all, what's money against artistry right? I also think the grip should be cut down a bit, just need a two finger hold. At the same time, I will find two original mags to hack and solder together because afaik, no one makes extended mags and 8 rounds just isn't enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OP, kudos for your creativity and gunsmithing interest. But, just to echo what others have said, please do it on a Tok clone and not an original. Chances are you won't really be pleased with the results. Please enjoy you Tok as is.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
OK , I am a purist and proud of it. But, for all of you who butcher military guns I have come to realize, you actually increase the value of the remaining original ones, because there are fewer to circulate! So, thanks for increasing the value of my collection.
As a practical matter, if you take off too much metal, you could create a reliability problem, with hard primer euro ammo, as there will be less weight to fall on the cartridge. But, I can't imagine you worry about reliability. LOL

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
My biggest concern is without something to hold on to, precisely how do you then let the hammer down on a LOADED chamber if you don't want to fire the pistol immediately (and the inverse. How do you then cock it when you DO want to fire it)?

There is 'cool' appearance, and there is functionality. As a trained Engineer, forgive me if I come down heavily on the side of functionality. Above all, I want the gun to WORK.

A bobbed hammer on a gun like a TT33 can create one heck of a hazard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.