Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the list from the old board of members that volunteered expertise on a certain area of Japanese militaria.

Original follows from Moderator 03man

Several members have suggested or requested a sticky with members handles and areas of expertise so that when one has a question on an item or an active auction, they could get in contact with the individual for information or advice.

A quick check list is below:

Bayonets- JWMWITZ

T-38 variations, Siamese/Thai variations of Japanese weapons, and Naval Special Type 99s- Frank Allen

Cleaning and restoration- Bushido101

General questions- 03man, Bushido101

Headgear- Jareth

Knee Mortars(grenade dischargers T10 and 89)- strangms

Muzzle covers- JWMWITZ

Nambu Pistols- Type 14, vicasoto

Rifles:

T30 and 38- Stan Zielinski, Frank Allan

T44- fingolfen

T99- Mike Rockhill, JWMWITZ

Murata- Stan Zielinski

Training- Seinen

SLINGS- JWMWITZ

SNIPER Rifles and Scopes- Vicasoto

Swords- NCO and other gunto- BradB

Translation: Edokko

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is very helpful to me as I have just purchased my first Japanese rifle.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
More

Dear Brad;

I would be happy to be the contact on T-38 variations, Siamese/Thai variations of Japanese weapons, and Naval Special Type 99s.

Frank

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,142 Posts
I was on the old list for Nagoya rifles and for boxed rifle & pistol ammunition.
I don't consider myself to be an "expert" but do know something about these items. Be warned, however, if you have something I really like you may 'have to sell it to me as soon as possible' ! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nagoya T-99,series 3,#38971 all matching

I am interested in selling this rare rifle. It comes with a story and captured papers. Beecher (USN) captured it and sent it home 2 weeks before KIA. Bayonet is National Denki #726006 w/o scabbard. The arm is in pristine condition. It has not been refinished. Any help in establishing correct value would be helpful. Skip http://forums.gunboards.com/attachm...ent.php?attachmentid=59277&stc=1&d=1206131391

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK, I have two Jap 99 Arisaka rifles. One with aircraft sights and the mum intact and the other I customized into a 280 Rem. Express.. This is a great gun to customize.. I put a medium sporter barrel, a custom wood stock and a new trigger with side safty..Turned out to be very accurate.. Don't tell me to keep em original.. I dislike the old beaten rusty look. I would rather give them another 100 years of life and updating the rifle so it can compete on the range or in the field...

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,142 Posts
That's fine & it sounds like you've created a fine rifle. Just please don't do that to a prime collectable.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Arisakadogs;
Not much else you can do for some of these old Arisaka rifles that have been collecting dust and rust in a closet since 1945! The receivers are still good, so I try to save the rifle by a complete custom job! My next project will be to convert my remaining Arisaka into a custom .308.. I think I will use Lyman target sights on this one so I don't cover the mum with a scope..As soon as I get a digital camera, I will send pictures..When I customize this rifle, are the left overs worth anything? I hate throwing away the aircraft sight or even the stock that looks like it was used to hammer nails..

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,142 Posts
GI,you should post this on the main forum just below. These "stickies" are mainly for reference purposes. And yes, folks are always looking for parts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
6.5 Ammo pouch

A friend gave me an ammo pouch because he didn't know what rifle the cartridges went to. The rounds (27 remaining on strippers with cardboard sleeves in pouch) are 6.5X50, spitzer cupronickle jacket. No headstamp on the cases, just three stab crimps. The pouch is in surprisingly good condition with one corner of the hinge stitching coming undone. Leather is brown and still supple. The lid folds forward from the belt loops and is secured on the sides of the pouch. No provision for oiler or tools so I know it's not cavalry issue. Can anyone give me some idea what an approximate value would be?

Tom

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,142 Posts
You should post this on a new thread below. Can you post photos? Sounds like you have the standard infantry ammo pouch. Two of these were worn up front and a 60 round reserve pouch was worn in the rear. The remains of the ammo boxes can be interesting as well. Is there anything left of the box top? There may be markings on the bottom of the box as well. Pricing on these seems to be around $75 to $120 depending on condition.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Arisakadogs;
Not much else you can do for some of these old Arisaka rifles that have been collecting dust and rust in a closet since 1945! The receivers are still good, so I try to save the rifle by a complete custom job! My next project will be to convert my remaining Arisaka into a custom .308.. I think I will use Lyman target sights on this one so I don't cover the mum with a scope..As soon as I get a digital camera, I will send pictures..When I customize this rifle, are the left overs worth anything? I hate throwing away the aircraft sight or even the stock that looks like it was used to hammer nails..
I know this is a reference thread so I sorry for posting, but I'm cringing at the moment. Why not sell the "useless, old" rifles to a collector, then use the proceeds to buy a target gun? Each to their own, but you're arguably destroying a piece of history, no?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
I have a rather extensive reference collection on Japanese zerwlits. I'll be happy to help anyone who has an intelligent question.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I speak and read Japanese pretty well and my wife is a native speaker. So, if anyone has a translation question, I'd be happy to take a stab at it. With Edokko doing translations as well, we should be able to figure out something... :crossfingers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
looking to see if someone can translate a ww2 japanese flag that was brought back by a guy in the 1st marine division from pelilu. thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts