Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have never seen one of the primers for the Austrian pistol but it appears to have been a soft tube with fulminate inside it. The spring force to open and close the primer retainer firing pin thing is substantial. I can imagine that if the firing pin was fouled or stuck in the fired position, closing it would discharge the pistol.
The Aston may have seen service in the CW but were certainly obsolete by that time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
British Horse Pistols

P58 .65 smoothbore 8" for East Indian Govt.Cavalry by Joseph Smith a Birmingham contractor
P58 .65 smoothbore 8" for East Indian Govt.Cavalry by Cooper & Goodwin, Birmingham contractors
P53 .577 rifled 10" Pistol Carbine for Yeomanry by Moxham a Birmingham contractor
P53 .577 rifled 10" Pistol for Lancers and Troop Sargeant-Majors by Moxham and marked on the guard RHGus 2 for Royal Horse Guards 2nd troop rear sight leaves for 100,200 and 300 yards

Lots of fun to shoot.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,915 Posts
Gazzer, thats a really nice Aston. Far as the replicas go seems I remember seeing a blunderbus listed in the old Dixie gun works catalog

·
Registered
49 Posts
a few of my favorite things

http://api.ning.com/files/5kExwIHIh...UVknPfwYhCdACV*GR/matchlocksandfriends001.JPG

When I posted this it came out ginormous and I did not want to bog down this thread so I just posted the link. I did not think to throw in my horse pistol when I took this. I was talking to someone about the matchlocks at the time. My blunderbuss (with the plug bayonet) is fitted with a dragoon ring to snap on a sliding baldric.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello back at you

Thank you and good to "meet" you all. There are quite a few impressive guns here. Many of mine are left over from living back east and getting to go to more reenactments than we tend to have here in Juneau. I am considering flying out to a Landsknecht event this summer just to get my fix. Hopefully I'll be able to take "horse pistol" pictures shortly.

This not me or my particular unit, just Landsknecht eye-candy:

http://api.ning.com/files/JhiKbWXbI...1rXwcszi/Weaponsdemo.jpg?width=737&height=552

·
Registered
49 Posts
wheellock

http://api.ning.com/files/Lfu6kCNO2...Jw749Zw2PPNipy1cwMt0C1Xp7Rn-SzIy/SDC10026.JPG

I finally have a picture of my new wheellock horse pistol. This is after a little cleaning, trimming, polishing, and drilling the touch hole. Indian made and about .60 cal. As you can see it is definitely a horse pistol (and close to needing a carbine ring!) The mechanism is surprisingly smooth and sparks nice. The flintlock is .50 cal.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Some pistols from Europe!

In chronological order from my stash:

British long sea service pistol circa 1800.

French Mle1833 cavarly pistol for officers (rifled) dated 1844 (worlds first official military percussion pistol).

French Mle1849 navy pistol dated 1851.

Swedish M1863 navy pinfire revolver.

Bavarian Werder pistol dated 1872.

·
Registered
49 Posts
clones

Madcratebuilder - my broomhandle could not look much more like yours. Mine was one of the Austrian made Chinese imports from the 80s. I put new grips on it, had the barrel sleeved to keep it in Mauser .30 and recently picked up the stock then leather off Ebay. The color was just luck of the auction. I have a mind to make a shoulder strap and little case for some spare stripper clips of ammo so that I can loan it to our occasional guest here as a fishing gun. The round has just enough pop to communicate with a bear and I have heard of so many being dropped over the boat here that at least this one should float. :) MOVED

There are some handsome firearms posted here. This one (and the double barreled flintlock pistol) are teasing me right now: http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PBB.shtml Cute little video too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
more collections

These belong to Gordon in WA. He is a 16th century cavalry fan but belongs to too many forums to post these here himself. ;) I can understand that. His puffers are .50 cal. http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/

Alden - where was the demo that those pictures were taken at?

This is not mine. My mortar has a ground base which is better than my shoulder but this is a cousin to the blunderbuss.

Sorry about the broomhandle diversion and temptation. I just included it in the earlier picture for scale to show how big the wheellock is since most people are familiar with broomhandles. (Well and maybe it will bother the Swedish Landsknecht reenactors on a different forum.)

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
I was just kidding. My point was that I only showed pics of arms up until the mid 1600's or 1700's -- everything after THAT is modern depending on which you are looking at. LOL I see the moderator's point -- my own later pics are a little OT too and I'd rather not say where they are from except that they are from programs I conduct.

Alden

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.