Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I have always been fascinated with large bore Flintlocks and Ship-Boarding weapons. Are there any companies making reproductions of either? As I sit, real ones are a bit out of my reach. Three kids will do that... Right now, I only own a percussion shotgun made by William Moore in the 1880s. Couple Muzzleloader .50 cal rifles as well, but they are new. I would just like to see some pictures of any you all may have as I can't seem to find much on them. Thank you. Andy

·
Silver Bullet member
835 Posts
Can't help with a flinter or cap lock single shoot. BUT, I do have a couple of HORSE pistols.

Granddaddy Walker.

And the offspring, Dragoons...

fluted 3rd model dragoon.

Tucker & Sherrard Texas Dragoon.

Unusual 3rd model Dragoon with shoulder stock.

These big Colts are my favorite shooters.

·
Silver Bullet member
835 Posts
Black powder revolvers don't have a sharp recoil like a magnum can have. More like a push, a good hard push against your hand. Most have the plow handle grip style so the rock back in your grip as they raise up. I find them pleasant to shoot all day. Can't say that for some of my .357's.

·
Administrator
18,265 Posts
A number of pirate reenactors of my acquaintance favor the blunderbuss too, but most of them just carry a brace of flintlock pistols. Love the boarding axe.:D

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the stuff.

Beautiful Blunderbuss, Alden. Where do you find one? I have shot some BP revolvers as a kid. We had an 1858 Remington "Bison" and remember that it was a pleasant shooter. I have also had .44 magnums and they are not so pleasant, to the degree I sold them both and went with .357s.

·
Administrator
18,265 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the help

Plundering noblemen? That would have been a nice career, except for being caught and hanged. Wheelocks are very interesting and another marvel of technology 5 centuries ago. I just love history. I will be ordering one of these when I can justify it, as they are so scary looking. Question... What does De-farbed mean? Pardon my ignorance. Andy

·
Silver Bullet member
835 Posts
Defarbed means typically removing all manufacture marks and other marks, such as proof marks, "made n Italy" "Black Powder Only" It makes the replica cap and ball revolvers look better. You can go as far as stamping original style marking. Some don't like it, saying it is counterfeiting. It's only counterfeiting if you say it's an original IMHO.

This is a defarbed Paterson.

Obviously a fake because of the incorrect barrel marking, but it does fool people that are not knowledgeable about the Paterson.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Definition

"FARBY." Living History term meaning "far be it from authentic" and is NOT limited to guns. Like wearing cut blue-jeans to a French & Indian War re-enactment. De-farbed is to un-FARBY something, like a gun as explained in detail.
Merriam Alden Webster

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Here are a couple of orginals. The big one is an Austrian tube lock which is uncommon in original form as most were converted to percussion cap. It is big and measures about 17.25" overall and has a bore of about .70 cal. I had meant to take a picture of the both of them together so you could see how large the Austrian pistol really is. The other is a US 1842 by H. Aston in .54 cal smoothbore and is only about 14.25" overall.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tube Lock?

How does that prime? Is Fulminate in a brass tube? That thing is definitely a Horse Pistol. WOW.That Aston is beautiful as well. They saw service in early CW, correct? Beautiful guns. Andy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.