Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but with a twist. The SN#996813 makes the receiver 1942 production. Some of the parts; barrel LMR 11-53, Op rod NM 7790772 RA, Bolt D28287 12SA W10B, FCG D28290 WRA, hammer C46608 SA, safety SA-11. There is a BA4 3-66 ep'd on right front leg..I assumed Benecia Arsenal but they had shut down a couple of years earlier..BA4 3-66 would be Anniston. There is a black grease pencil scrawl on the leg as well. This is the first time I have seen a 60's re-arsenaled garand w[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]ith the Blue Sky import stamp. The rifle has a consistent parked finish, even the swivels. The bore is like new, there is little if any wear on the internal surfaces and it is pretty much grease free. The stock has no cartouches but the white rack numbers and other markings have been scraped away. The BLUE SKY ARLINGTON VA is stamped on the left side barrel. I got it for a shooter.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually..I have an IHC with a fugly bore too. Have you encountered a US arsenal rework that then went to Korea?

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
My first Garand was an Exel, Gardner, MA. import from the late 80s with a 63 dated barrel & finish much like yours. W.R.A. triggerguard. As you said, consistent parkerizing. I no longer have it, so can't check the specifics, but it had Koren characters painted on the butt. Metal was in great shape. The others at the Woolworths I bought it at were all in similar shape, as I recall.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen quite a few of the well used and rode hard varieties of Blue Sky garands. I did have a Winchester Blue Sky import that was a great shooter..it had a very good bore and crown. This one has a similar condition barrel. If this rifle was a part of an Anniston Arsenal rebuild program in March 1966 it just surprised me that it ended up in Korea..I thought most of the Korean garands were in country much earlier than 1966 .

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The Koreans did receive rebuilds... there were photos of some canned post WW2 rebuilds still sealed in the armory cans still in Korea, discussed ad nausem on the net and there was much specualtion as to what they would be worth. Don't know if any of them were reimported as of yet, I doubt it, as it would be cause of much discussion. It wouldn't suprise me that the Koreans received MAP M1 rifles, as well as any other obsolescent WW2 small arms remaining in our inventory through the late 1960's and possibly into the early 1970's.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information provided on the MAP program dates. It must have been one of the late ones!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one more photo..

This is the seat of the pants ME test with a 1957 vintage Taiwanese corrosive round.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They were part of our payment to them for their great help in the Nam.
The ROK troops were a force to be reckoned with! The garands could have ended up in Nam were too big for the Ruff n Puffs..they packed those Cal. 30 M1 carbines though! I think this example was left in a corner also!! I have the feeling that it might be a good shooter.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do..also need to check that spring and make sure is has not been reduced to ramen noodles.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Would be a very good idea to replace the Op Rod spring even if it is in one piece.
I recommend Orion7 springs. Stay away from Wolf Op Rod springs as the are overpowered and can cause short stroking

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
If I am remembering rightly, yer supposed to pass on all Blue Sky marked rifles, leaving them for, well, I supposed to those folks who buy old guns and never shoot them, just show them to their friends and neighbors.
Well, I guess that is what I have read of heard anyway, dunno if that is rightly true, I did see a really worn blue sky import garand once, had practically no rifling left, and the operating rod fell out in my hand.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
My Blue Sky Garand was in rather good condition considering its source. The barrel was the only real problem - a very little of the rifling showing through the moon craters. I've rebarreled it and now it is a very good shooter. Also, the gun is now no longer a Blue Sky import as the import markings were on the barrel which was removed!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My Blue Sky Garand was in rather good condition considering its source. The barrel was the only real problem - a very little of the rifling showing through the moon craters. I've rebarreled it and now it is a very good shooter. Also, the gun is now no longer a Blue Sky import as the import markings were on the barrel which was removed!
Hi big boy99,

I have a Blue Sky also!
My barrel was the best one in the bunch at the gun shop.

It did not shoot well because they stamped the Blue sky import marks so deep, it made the barrel oval !
I replaced it with a Douglas match barrel & never looked back.

The rifle was checked with all the gauges -passed with flying colors & still is a fine shooter after 20 years in the safe.

Best,
point6

1 - 20 of 24 Posts