·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6998788.stm

Iraq pulls security firm contract
Aftermath of a car bombing and shoot-out in Baghdad
The Iraqi interior ministry has said it will investigate Sunday's incident
Iraq has cancelled the licence of the private security contractor, Blackwater USA, after it was involved in a gunfight that killed eight civilians.
The Iraqi interior ministry said the firm, based in North Carolina, was now banned from operating anywhere in Iraq.
The Blackwater workers, who were contracted by the US state department, apparently opened fire after coming under attack in Baghdad on Sunday.
Thousands of private security guards are employed in lawless Iraq.
They are often heavily armed, but critics say some are not properly trained and are not accountable except to their employers.
The interior ministry's director of operations, Maj Gen Abdul Karim Khalaf, said authorities would prosecute any foreign contractors found to have used excessive force.
"We have opened a criminal investigation against the group who committed the crime," he told the AFP news agency.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I read about this earlier today.

They wont be able to prosecute legally because they included private security in their armed forces treaty.

I understand the many reasons why they do not like private security groups taking on a military role in their country.

On the other hand it is my understanding that they (and the news groups) are using the private security firms more than anyone else.

This political move may help our ground soldiers as well as the Iraqi military and police forces.

At the same time it may make it harder for network news and politicians to get around safely.

Gosh darnnit.

Oh well.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,830 Posts
At the same time it may make it harder for network news and politicians to get around safely.
Such a terrible shame. Perhaps it is time for someof our politicians to vists there.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Now then, if only the Iraqi government can show that much enthusiasm for expelling terrorists who kill innocents...

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
Latest news is the Iraqi government is engaging in lots of head scratching because they have a dozen completely different stories from supposed eyewitnesses about what happened!

And they do not have the legal power or ability to "boot" Blackwater.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,735 Posts
Blackwater (and the other contractors ) are covered as to status and jurisdictions by what is known as a Status of Forces Agreement. Which isn't, quite a treaty with Iraq at this point (some SOF Agreements are treaties - depends on palce). But is a binding (until one party or the other withdraws from it) agreement between the US and the government of Iraq. Without actually seeing and examining the entire agreement, I wouldn't venture an opinion as to just what Blackwater's status is. But the reports I've seen suggest its employees will not be subject to Iraqi jurisdiction for things they do while protecting American dips.

I know I wouldn't take a job over there unless there was a clear understanding between the employing agency, a BINDING understanding, and the Iraqi government that whatever I did in course and scope of employment, or otherwise, would be prosecuted only in a US court on US soil for things taht would be offenses under US law.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
These guys have a pretty mixed up scorecard, "cowboy" is high in the desription.

Head of University of Illinois Police Training Institute was recently forced to retire because of some "conflict of Interest" contract dealings with them.

What is not "mixed up" in Iraq?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ithought the IPTI issue was more in regards to the commercial and marketing division of Black Water.

(The low to mid quality pseudo tactical gear that is made in Asia but sold as if it is made here and the "payola" involved with the promotion of the products and making the unnecessary seem necessary.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most of our troops I have spoken to here, really do not like the blackwater guys. And as metioned earlier " cowboy " does sum it up.

·
93,735 Posts
Money, too. The guys in Blackwater and other contractors make a lot more money than the troops. That leads to resentment. As I recall from my long-past Vietnam days when the guys from Philco-Ford and PA&E made a lot more money than we did. And we didn't like it a lot. Somehow I doubt that has changed any since then.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Unlikely they will get kicked out of Iraq.There was a documentary on TV here last week,about some local men who are working there as security for CBS news,apparently they prefer British or old commonwealth ex-service men (with suitable experience) for their security.The main guy they were talking to,mentioned that they avoid US military convoy's or patrols as sometimes they can be just as dangerous as the insurgents,often shooting at vehicles they feel are getting to close to them just to keep them away.So it sounds like there is a bit of resentment from both sides,probably jealousy on the part of the troops re the money,although they have resources they can call on if they get in trouble which the contractors do not have.Although he did say some contractors are their own worst enemy,making themselves obvious with their behaviour and drawing attention to themselves when they should be trying to be as discrete and low key as possible to avoid attack.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,393 Posts
Re-Blackwater.

8-am. Qld. Just watching the news and it seems Blackwater could be in the poo for smuggling arms into Iraq.

·
93,735 Posts
I predict it will blow over. Apparently the lace-pantie brigade is back on the road. With security by Blackwater.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
It would really make me happy if the news media didn't have security guards since they think Americans are the bad guys and AlQaeda is just misunderstood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts