Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a M.E.Co 1914 marked sling on ebay. It has just arrived & I find that the webbing is black. Refresh my memory guys; black slings are rifle regiments right? I know that later they were also armoured brigade as well but there weren't many tanks about in '14 so I'm presuming rifle regiments. Now which regiments would they be in WWI & what does M.E. stand for?
Thanks
Sprog

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is the webbing black or was it dyed?

Just because it was made in 14, doesn't mean it was coloured then, it could of been surplus and then used later when there where more tanks kicking around like in the 30's, 40's. Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Lachy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Black slings here

WWII Australian Navy-
.303s with black slings

So maybe it's one of them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As Korg points out it wasn't just the rifle regiments. Many of the NSW Cadet units used to Kiwi the slings as well. Kiwi is a brand of boot polish here in Oz..

·
Gold Bullet member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spit & Polish

As Korg points out it wasn't just the rifle regiments. Many of the NSW Cadet units used to Kiwi the slings as well. Kiwi is a brand of boot polish here in Oz..
The more I look the more I'm covinced that you are right. I'm now debating washing it out but worry about the effect on the 93 year old.
Kiwi or Cherry Blossom & a good gob of spit, just the thing for bulling boots. All over the world whatever the education standard people can recognise the NZ national bird.

Sprog

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
In 1906, William Ramsay an Australian had developed an unusually fine boot polish to which he gave the name ‘KIWI’. The choice of the name KIWI as a trademark was a tribute to William’s wife who was a native of New Zealand, home of the KIWI bird and New Zealand's national emblem. During Ramsay's visit to New Zealand he had noticed the quaint, wingless birds with their crisp, glossy plumage. The kiwi bird design looked good on the small round tin, and the name was easy to see and attractive to look at.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
In 1906, William Ramsay an Australian had developed an unusually fine boot polish to which he gave the name ‘KIWI’. The choice of the name KIWI as a trademark was a tribute to William’s wife who was a native of New Zealand, home of the KIWI bird and New Zealand's national emblem. During Ramsay's visit to New Zealand he had noticed the quaint, wingless birds with their crisp, glossy plumage. The kiwi bird design looked good on the small round tin, and the name was easy to see and attractive to look at.
And 69 years later, U.S. Marine recruits were still using the stuff to put a high gloss on their footwear. :D

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
and a hundred plus years later im still using it on my shoes - tin of brown on the shelf accross the room as i type :>}

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
And 69 years later, U.S. Marine recruits were still using the stuff to put a high gloss on their footwear. :D

The few the proud and the spit polished combat boot ???? :eek:

It must be Kiwi Clear Desert Sand Polish :rolleyes:

Aim High, Air Force ;)

·
Banned
904 Posts
boots...troops for the use of...

Yes...brings back ATC air force cadet days...the boots (left over WW2 items but 'brand new') were issue in natural leather finish...I seem to recall you first had to apply black raven oil ....memory foggy on that one.

Then you got your tin of black Kiwi boot polish and very very oh so carefully got a match and lit some in the tin lid...letting the flame do its work until the contents were liquid..

blow out the flame, then get your rag and have at the boots till they were covered in the muddy liquid polish...then polish for all you were worth, spitting on boots in between changes of rag...re apply melted polish till you could see your face in 'em....

I guess it was just a government plot to give the troops something to do so they wouldnt get into other trouble.... :)

·
Banned
904 Posts
and that Kiwi bootpolish

....bears a terrifying resemblance to that other sandwich spread......dare we make the connection?????

Could it all be part of a sheepshaggers plot to kill us all..... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts