Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
9,794 Posts
I always thought " Black Friday" was Any Friday 13th.???
Has Wokeness Taken this over as well???
Doc AV
Perplexed.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always thought " Black Friday" was Any Friday 13th.???
Has Wokeness Taken this over as well???
Doc AV
Perplexed.
'Black Friday' is at the end of November, when all across the world (I think it started in the US) traders give (allegedly) huge discounts to get rid of all their old, (out of date, last years features, etc etc) stock to entice folks to buy all the crap before Christmas and before the new stock and the new year comes in.
Some traders report doing up to 75%+ of their annual sales around this period.

Black Friday (in the UK) has now become at least 7 days.

The 2021 forecast for sales ONLY in the UK for the 'Black Friday Weekend' (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) are £9.42 billion (Aus$17.6 billion) with additional sales on the following 'Cyber Monday'
Some 87% (in the UK) is purchased on-line.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
The term "Black Friday" emerged from the Friday following American Thanksgiving which is the last Thursday in November. Its the "official" kickoff of the Christmas shopping season.
People want to be the first to get retail deals and many will go to any extreme to do it.
Black Friday to me sets off the epitomy of selfishness and rudeness. They gang up to make shopping plans akin to a military operation. They all get their list of things to buy. They have Plan B and secondary targets.
They know what time each store opens. People will camp out in the cold overnight just to be there at the right time. They will push and shove and fight just to get their hands on items at the right price. They will drive like maniacs cutting people off. Run red lights. Throw acid in peoples faces over a particular parking spot.
Black Friday... I have always avoided it.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They know what time each store opens.
As I mentioned above, in the UK it is not a case of waiting for the stores to open, dashing around like a madman/woman 87% is done online and delivered - no need to even get out of bed.

It can even be quieter than normal in the actual high street / shops.

It is the 'January Sales' that get the buyers in a phsical shopping mode frenzy - fighting, hair pulling, kicking and screaming.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Many people in the US have the Friday after Thanksgiving off and as mentioned, it's the 'official' start of the Christmas shopping season so it's become a thing. Worst was before Covid, where people would queue up Thursday night outside Walmart to be one of the 50 people to get the cheap cheap cheap big screen TV, then bum-rush the store when the doors opened. Between Covid, online shopping and human fickleness it seems to have become less of a thing now.

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
194 Posts
The concept of Black Friday is based on the retailers profit and loss models. As another poster mentioned, retailers make a vast majority of their sales in the Christmas season, and Black Friday represents when the retailers move from the red (a financial loss) to the black ( a financial profit). Hence the name Black Friday. I have never been shopping on Black Friday, but based on the news footage, it brings out the worst in human behavior.

Reactions: eli and JB White

·
Registered
905 Posts
No Discounts No Peace!

·
Registered
354 Posts
The only time I took advantage of Black Friday sales was probably almost 20 years ago. Dunham's Sporting Goods in Hanover and Harrisburg would have great deals on certain military surplus rifles. They opened at 6am. I did this for about 2 or 3 years in a row. Yugo SKS's, Mosin's(got some ex- snipers that way), different Mausers. Unfortunately, those two locations are no longer in business.
I would take the day off since I couldn't normally make it back by start time in Lancaster, except for one time. There are lines at the cashier 5 minutes after opening.
I might also add that the line to get in the store rarely was longer than a dozen people and never was there mayhem while I was there. Firearm Specials lasted till noon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts