Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The firing pin on my BKS broke on my last range outing. I think I may have dry fired it once after clearing the only jam of the day and neglecting to chamber a round? That's my best guess for why/how it broke. I've order a new one from Numrich but it's supposed to be for a BM. I hope it fits. I'll know soon enough, it should be here next Tuesday.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don’t want to offer his services unsolicited, BUT member Bill DeShivs fabricated a new firing pin for my Star Model S. I can highly recommend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
50,293 Posts
Here is Bills website.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yes Bill is the best choice, however if you have already ordered the pin a BM and BKM are the same but a BKS and B would be the same......maybe......that is why having Bill fit it is a win win .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to fit ok? It's the right length and width, and the notch for the firing pin retaining pin looks the same. Where the narrow part and wide part of the pin meet is slightly different. The transition on the old pin was more gradual compared to the new pin. I hope it protrudes far enough when struck to start the primer? Not sure when I'll get a chance to see if it works yet.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Give it the old pencil test, you do not want the pin to protrude at all nor be too short, the pencil should not move when the hammer is moved up and down with the trigger drawn back. Then shoot the pencil out of the barrel with the firing pin by dryfiring....of course the eraser end Into the barrel first. This will at let you know if the pin is functioning but wet fire is still required it insure reliable ignition each time it is required.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Give it the old pencil test, you do not want the pin to protrude at all nor be too short, the pencil should not move when the hammer is moved up and down with the trigger drawn back. Then shoot the pencil out of the barrel with the firing pin by dryfiring....of course the eraser end Into the barrel first. This will at let you know if the pin is functioning but wet fire is still required it insure reliable ignition each time it is required.
Thank you for this! Not only is it a practical tip of the kind I like, it's damn fun to do!

It passed the pencil test alright, shot a few feet at a 45 degree angle, and no movement while seating and unseating the hammer w/o dry firing, and I did not shoot my eye out :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got out to see if it works. I wasn't sure what to expect when letting the slide slam down to chamber the first round, was very relieved when it didn't go "bang". After passing the pencil test, was pretty sure it would go "bang" when I pulled the trigger, and sure enough it did. So it's all good now :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally got out to see if it works. I wasn't sure what to expect when letting the slide slam down to chamber the first round, was very relieved when it didn't go "bang". After passing the pencil test, was pretty sure it would go "bang" when I pulled the trigger, and sure enough it did. So it's all good now :)
That’s great news!! How did it do accuracy and cycling wise?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s great news!! How did it do accuracy and cycling wise?

No change from before, I ran a couple dozen rounds through it without any problems and the gun is still way more accurate than I am. The rear sight might not be perfectly placed but it's definitely in the ball park. I'd need to fire it from bean bags more carefully than I'm capable of by hand to be able to tell, but the range's bean bags are in covid quarantine right now so I didn't do that.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I should at least have been offered a Dr Pepper ( Texas‘s own drink) for that unique advise about the pencil. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts