Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for owners of the vast majority of RPKs that have bipods attached on the ends to the barrels, do you find that your accuracy is adversely affected because of the bipod? It seems the vast majority of RPKs available have this feature and it seems detrimental. Of course, considering what these rifles are designed for, precision accuracy probably isn't important.

Keith

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
For what they are, it doesn't matter. They're certainly not to be a precision, single-fire automatic rifle. I shoot mine fairly frequently and see no real accuracy issues or concerns with it having a bipod. Of course, I rapid-fire it at a distant object most of the time to try and enjoy what it was designed for initially.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This post was initiated bacause when I first shot mine two weekends ago (a Russianized NHM-91 I posted about a while back) it had good horizontal accuracy, but in the vertical the 'groups' had sometimes several feet of displacement. Ack!
I initially attributed this to the bipod.

This last weekend, I discovered that I was able to remove the legs from mine while leaving the 'pivot' attached to the barrel. It took about one minute once I figured out what I needed to do. I'm going to experiment with it as a regular AK shooting prone supported and as an RPK with bipod attached and see what the differences are. If its significant, I'll report back.

Keith

·
Registered
378 Posts
Trainsktg,
The bipod on the NHM-91 is really not hard to take off. Use a brass nail/punch and slowly tap the pin on the right side of the bipod from the back forward. The left side of the bipod has the hinge so you'll know which pin I'm talking about. I would put a bit of Zit-(WD-40) on the pin area before punching out the pin. It comes out real easy and is just as easy to put back on. One of the hassles of these bipods is that the screws that tighten up the level of the bipod tend to loosen and slip quite often. I've found that placing the legs backwards enables the screws to tighten up a lot more secure. I could never figure out why the slot these screws tighten up on never stay put. I forgot to mention that once you get the bipod off and take out the NHM-91 for a shooting session, you'll soon realize just what a difference a long heavy barrel makes on an AKs accuracy.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Something that I have never truly understood is the apparent hatred for barrel-mounted bi-pods. consider this, (as I have noticed nothing detrimental from using a Russian, steel ,clip-on, machined bi-pod on my PSL, at times) if the weapon is zeroed with the bi-pod, then it should not make much difference, anyway. This is what I have had happen with mine.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I don't hate them. I love the look. That's why I bought it :) . Considering that this rifle had very few if any rounds through it before I purchased it, short of horrible ammo (which is certainly possible), I can't figure out why at 100 yards I would get vertical POI displacement of several feet in between shots. I picked up different ammo while I was home last weekend, and I'm going to shoot with and without the bipod, shooting prone supported, to see if there is a significant difference. This is the only modern rifle I own that I can't get under 4 to 5 moa under 300 yards with the open sights, so I know its not me.

Black Elk: I did take the pivot off when I initially removed the legs, but considering its light weight, I just reinstalled it. Its easier to just remove the legs individually. Also, I don't think I've read of anyone's legs not slipping when extended. Obviously a design flaw. Good for photos and setting on a bench at the range, though :) .

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Used to shoot an AES-10B, the accuracy got slightly better when we took the bipod off. Never shot it on paper, just shot diesel cylinder packs at about 150 meters. Lots of fun......

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its the bipod. With Wolf 'Military Classic' I was getting consistent 3 to 4 moa 5-shot groups (good for me) at the range shooting prone supported with the bipod off. The leg pins are a bit loose and the pivot is a tad sloppy on the barrel. I'm going to see about replacing the stock pins with some tighter roll pins and maybe sandwiching a thin spacer between the outside of the barrel and the inside of the pivot.

My '51 Russian SKS mostly shot the pants off of the longer barrelled AK though. 2.5 to 3 moa 5-shot groups were the norm, although my best group of the day was a tad under 2moa with the NHM :) . OTOH, my worst group was also with the NHM :( .

Keith

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Black Elk, I am on my second NMH-91(sold the first) and what I did was to plunge mill(drill) three indents in each leg in the long slot on the out side, one at the top, one in the middle, and one on the bottom. the middle works best for me and it stays in place. and so I am not off topic I find a better overall inprovement because the rifle can be held steadier and kept on target for faster follow up shots with a bipod than without.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts