Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On two recent visits to my local Big 5, one of the assistant managers expressed doubts that they would get enough M91/59's in to satisfy the maybe two dozen rain checks that they have on file. They haven't seen any M91/59 carbines since the last sale.

Follow through: My suggestion to anyone who has such a rain check is to ask a manager each time you are in the store or call to see if they are in. Do not bother them to death, but express enough interest to let them know that you really want one and would appreciate getting one. You want yours to be the first name they think of when they get one/some in. HTH DDR

·
Registered
712 Posts
With the exception of those 91/59s, and some Yugo SKSs, once, I have not seen any milsurp besides the usual Mosin carbines and rifles marked "on sale" in the Big 5 flyer for at least one year, maybe longer.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had M91/59's on sale about a month ago. Each store seemed to have only one or two. DDR

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,144 Posts
The local Big 5's here each had 3 or 4 for the sale, and they sold that weekend. The stores have half a dozen rain checks for when more arrive. The managers say they are waiting for more, but don't know when or even if they will get them.

As to other Mil Surps, Big 5 has had Yugo M24/47's and Turkish Mausers on sale during the last 12 months in this area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did see that add a while back but i figured that they would sell out quickly. I wish they would get SKS again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
let's see....Mom would say:

something about "the pot calling the kettle black".....
Seems I wandered into the Coeur d'Alene Big 5 a while back, and found something like 7 "on holds" from some ball-hog named Jon???????
...which could be interperted as jealousy, I suppose--but I've never admit it! :p
Cheapdad

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
It sure would be nice to have a store like Big 5 here in NY.
This state is so antigun, that the local super Wally World recently dropped their entire line of firearms.
riflemanone

·
Registered
675 Posts
The bad thing about big 5 is that the stores are only allowed a certain number of each firearm, at least that is what I was told. So if they can only order two or three 91/59's at a time it will take a while to fill those rainchecks if they ever do.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,144 Posts
As I understand the Big 5 situation, those stores that sell the most milsurps get priority on replacements, while those that don't move their stock very fast have to wait until the fast movers are supplied.

I do know that of the two stores near me, one gets a LOT more mil surps than the other. The one with the big selection is usually sold out the day the ads come out, while the other one will still have some stock 1 or 2 days later.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
It sure would be nice to have a store like Big 5 here in NY.
This state is so antigun, that the local super Wally World recently dropped their entire line of firearms.
riflemanone
So then what the Hell are you still shoppin' at Wally World for????

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
A few of the Big 5 managers here told me they stopped carrying the Yugo SKS's because Big 5 is based out of Kalifornia and they don't want to sell "assault rifles".

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ones in my local store were supplied from Kalifornia and they had some kind of alternative muzzle fixture and not the grenade launcher. Haven't seen one here in about a year. DDR

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,488 Posts
As I understand the Big 5 situation, those stores that sell the most milsurps get priority on replacements, while those that don't move their stock very fast have to wait until the fast movers are supplied.

I do know that of the two stores near me, one gets a LOT more mil surps than the other. The one with the big selection is usually sold out the day the ads come out, while the other one will still have some stock 1 or 2 days later.
There are MANY Big 5's in my area and ALL have stated that "...Store #XXX is a gun store because of their sales. They get the most replacements". There are at least two of these stores in the Phoenix area. As for the 91/59's, each store in the area got one. That's it. I was told it was a market test.

Gary

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Whew. I am glad that I got the one that I got last month from my local Big 5. It is a 1939 Izhevsk with SSE, and a shiney bore. I never bothered to ask if they had more than one. I had been eyeing the one that I bought for over a month, waiting for it to go on sale. It was a long month.:rolleyes:

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
OK, so here are images of my all matching Big 5 91/59.

G

·
dammit DAMMIT!

Wish I'd grabbed one back when they had them. Or better still, one of the beauties from Allan's Armory. Man' those were the sweetest I've EVER seen!

But that's the Scottish way: I figure out what I'd most like to do only AFTER the best examples are long gone. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts