Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
64,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday may be interesting.
-------------

The announcement, expected for Thursday, comes amid a spate of high-profile shootings and as some advocates have grown frustrated in the White House's delay.

President Joe Biden is expected to unveil a long-awaited package of executive actions to curb gun violence Thursday at the White House, according to four people familiar with the plan.

Biden will direct the administration to begin the process of requiring buyers of so-called ghost guns — homemade or makeshift firearms that lack serial numbers — to undergo background checks, according to three people who have spoken to the White House about the plans. He is expected to be joined at the event by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Other executive actions remain unclear. But stakeholders have speculated that the president could announce regulations on concealed assault-style firearms; prohibitions on firearm purchases for those convicted of domestic violence against their partners; and federal guidance on home storage safety measures.

·
Silver Bullet member
300 Posts
"concealed assault style firearms"? In most places those would already be illegal. Also would not stand up in court, local jurisdictions have the authority to regulate concealed carry, not the feds. About all the feds can do is try to cut off money to those who don't toe the line, but that also generally didn't work so well when Trump tried it on sanctuary cities so I doubt it would stand up in court either (especially not the current SCOTUS).

If Biden holds it down to requiring a background check on 80% receivers, he'll probably be fine. If he flies too high on his fancies he's just making a convincing argument for independents to vote Republican coming up in 2022 and perhaps 2024. Sixty Minutes sure helped out with that on Sunday :D

·
Gold Bullet member
13,807 Posts
MT allows individual manufacture of fireaarms. States can vary by their state constitution. The 2nd amendment is the minimimal allowed, not the the max..

·
Registered
213 Posts
“Federal guidance on home storage safety measures” could be a devastating thing. If you require everyone to lock their guns in a safe of certain rating, or store them separately from ammo, or other such things... the laws in other countries are sometimes very oppressive in this regard.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
“Federal guidance on home storage safety measures” could be a devastating thing. If you require everyone to lock their guns in a safe of certain rating, or store them separately from ammo, or other such things... the laws in other countries are sometimes very oppressive in this regard.
Knowing the left, I'm sure they will be as oppressive as they can be.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I see this as a first step to gauge opposition.

After they get a feel for the push-back, and it's proven this doesn't do much, they will fabricate more serious anti-gun Executive Orders - and possibly Executive Actions.

They will use any backdoor method they can think of to slowly keep infringing on gun rights.

This is just the beginning of what will be a constant battle.

There does seem to be more outspoken opposition to their plans though.

Lindsey Graham posted a video of himself shooting an AR at the range, and the NRA put out a video with Ted Cruz, Mike Pompeo, Jim Jordan, Burgess Owens, and Mark Robinson commenting against useless new restrictions.

Amusing new NRA video -

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
MD already has a very vague (go figure) "protected from child access" (even if no kids are present) law on the books.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Biden lays it out -

"Ghost Guns", "Assault Weapons", Background Checks, Red Flag Laws, High Capacity Magazines, Pistol Braces, Immunity - it's all in there.

Touched on "Urban Gun Violence", but offered no information on how to stop it...

He is also nominating a new Director of the "AFT".

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Harming business who produce and sell these braces, devalue gun owners property by hundreds of millions of dollars, criminalize gun owners and a waste of resources for absolutely nothing. Schools will still be vunerable. Drug turf wars will still occur in our cities.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
This is only 4 months in, image 4 years. My take away. The part where he swore democrats will never end the fight. In effect total ban of all guns and even then the fight "will never end". I am not sure people picked up on that. Because; most of us already belive that, but; today it was openly stated: "will never end"

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is only 4 months in, image 4 years. My take away. The part where he swore democrats will never end the fight. In effect total ban of all guns and even then the fight "will never end". I am not sure people picked up on that. Because; most of us already belive that, but; today it was openly stated: "will never end"
The fight for freedom never ends, not even inside our own nation. Fascists have slipped inside the gate while we were distracted with consumer gadgets, pro sports and the Kardashians.

Hey, I blame myself too. I thought it could never happen. I couldn't envision people inside our own wire could be capable of thinking this way. As a result, I'm late to the party. I'm paying through the nose for equipment and ammunition.

·
Banned
10 Posts
you got a great point

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The way they keep describing their definition of a ghost gun is very concerning. If they get their way, the mere ability to purchase AR 15 parts will be in jeopardy.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bear in mind Obama, in 2016, decried his biggest disappointment was not enacting some sweeping gun control bill during his two terms as president. For two days he threatened the use of executive action to change this and then fell silent. The reason was his legal team told him he lacked the constitutional authority to do this. Any such legislation had to be passed by congress first. Remember, an Executive Order is not a law, and only good if it is found to be constitutional. It can be cancelled by the originating or a subsequent Chief Executive at any time.

·
Silver Bullet member
300 Posts
Bear in mind Obama, in 2016, decried his biggest disappointment was not enacting some sweeping gun control bill during his two terms as president. For two days he threatened the use of executive action to change this and then fell silent. The reason was his legal team told him he lacked the constitutional authority to do this. Any such legislation had to be passed by congress first. Remember, an Executive Order is not a law, and only good if it is found to be constitutional. It can be cancelled by the originating or a subsequent Chief Executive at any time.
These aren't even Executive Orders, they are Executive Actions, a nuance that is easy to miss in the low information media reporting but also one that a guy on another forum pointed out. Executive Actions don't amount to much, directing the DOJ to come up with a plan and study things.....

Biden made a bit of a splash, but I don't think it amounts to much because his staff kept it out of the legal quagmire. Keep the pressure on purple state Senate democrats and this will go nowhere.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I never heard the terms "concealed assault style firearms" or "concealable assault weapons" or something like that until news reports on/after March 22, 2021. The timing of everything is too convenient. Back during the campaign, Slo-Joe said gun control was something he'd tackle on day one. Well, day one was the afternoon of January 20, 2021 (OK, I'll give ya' January 21, 2021 is someone wants to be picky) and 2+ months later is not day one. I not proposing that the incident of March 22, 2021 was an "MK-Ultra" thing, but rather as soon as it happened gun control people/groups were salivating and may have been thinking something like "Finally, this is it!".

Never let a good tragedy go to waste, right?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The way they keep describing their definition of a ghost gun is very concerning. If they get their way, the mere ability to purchase AR 15 parts will be in jeopardy.
Absolutely. Joe Sixpack doesn't know or care that the receiver is the firearm and a buffer tube is not a firearm. Most people in the USA, fed a steady diet of network news and cop TV shows would not accept that it is legal to build your own firearm (here's a decent write up) and this ignorance is being exploited by these executive actions. Fear is a good motivator, just ask Stalin or Mao.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Is any of the bovine scat grandfathered or are more of us criminals now?

Reactions: DisasterDog
1 - 20 of 80 Posts