Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1975 I stopped by Interarms in Alexandria, VA and picked up two wooden cases of M1949 30-06 Ammo in Garand clips for a cheap price.

I was really proud of myself until I tried shooting the first or second clip. I was getting gas in my face from brass failure!!!

Apparently, the primers used in the French ammo has a lot of mercury in it because the brass becomes very brittle. Now, this was an "internal problem" because even though the ammo was in wooden cases, the actual ammo was inside of a sealed tin inner case.

I was over at the CMP website and some of that surplus French ammo is showing up on the market again in machine gun belts.

AVOID FRENCH SURPLUS MILITARY 30-06 AMMO LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
SAMCO had some GEVOLT branded French 30-06 in grey 20rd boxes made in 1980 or maybe even 1990. Now that was FINE ammo. Corrosive as HELL but nice shooting ammo.

But heck yea, that 1950s era French GI 30-06 is rotten! It will either bend/break your Garand or just rust it to death.

·
Registered
20,639 Posts
Whoa.... 1980 era ammo and corrosive ? Now that got my attention.
That flatly puts me back to : foreign military ammo gets treated like corrosive
primed mind set.

Thanks to all posters for the info on French ammo. That is significant information !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.