Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i narrowed down my choice for the first mauser i will buy. it's between a russian capture k98 (or a non- capture if i could find one in good shape and for a decent price) or a vz24 (pre 1938). of the rifles that you have seen, which would be the easiest to find in really good shape, and is there any big differences in the quality of either of these rifles? rearsenaled rifles are more than ok with me to, so it doesn't need to be matching numbers.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i've seen a few russian captures for around 300, and some really nice looking vz24's for about 250. i've heard that yugos are great rifles, but not up to the quality of the vz or k98. i could be wrong though, as i am a mosin nagant guy, and don't know a whole lot about mausers (other than they are better contructed rifles than the mosin). i'm just looking for any input from mauser owners and opinions on the different types of mausers

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, i went to R Guns today (a distributer some of you are familuar with....i live 15 miles away from the actual store) and bought a vz 24 that looked as if it was made, stored, and never seen light until today. it was covered in cosmoline, the wood had no dings or scratches, the metal had no wear or and scratches of any kind, and it was just gorgeous. the barrel was dirty, but the rifling was sharp and all present with no pitting (did they use cosmoline inside the barrel, if so, that would explain why it looked dirty). the SN is XR166xx, which puts it made towards the end of the war i guess, and made for the romainians. the action was smooth as can be, and it was just gorgeous (MUCH smoother than any of my mosins). i'l be picking it up in a few weeks, and pics to follow. did they use cosmoline in the barrels?

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i did not have a crest on it, nor did it seem that it was scrubbed off, thats how i came to the conclusion it was made after 1938, and the serial number puts it right around the end of production. i think it did have the "Zbrjovka Czechoslovenska" writtin on the side (something czechoslovenska for sure atleast). the mauser action is a thing of beauty, but since a mosin was my first gun ever, it will always hold a special place......it's funny, R guns is NOT a big store by any means. when you walk in, there is NO MORE than 100 guns on display. but, they are importers, and all the stuff is in back. i worked at a place called G.A.T. Guns right down the road, and that place is HUGE (one of the biggest in the country i've heard, kind of funny coming from obamaland). either way, tehy people that work at R Guns have always been down to earth and friendly (i bought a MN bent bolt sniper from them, and what rifle), so i have nothing but good things to say about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.