Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to the forum. I am a new member.

My sweetheart was an avid collector of many things. To include me in his at least one of his many interests, during our time together, he collected Star pistols vicariously through me. It was fun while it lasted. We shared countless hours with Leo Antaris' book researching my acquisitions which number about 30 pieces. I even have a Star Mod. 110 (22 LR) rifle.

Well, my darling companion is no longer of this world. What I thought would be a fine future together died when he did. These firearms bring me more pain than pleasure now. So I would like to dispose of them. My observation is that, in my position, there are many who will take advantage of women like me. Naturally I would like to avoid such complications.

Please offer suggestions that might be appropriate while considering the following. I do not want to haggle at gun shows. I do not want to give away my treasures at auction. What I do want that is these wonderful examples in my comprehensive collection should find homes in other collections. I'm unsure of the law regarding sales so if you could also clarify that for me I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your time in responding.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
We have an excellent Trader Forum here at Gunboards - that would be a great place to post your items for sale. As to regulations, just require the buyer to have a C&R FFL, or arrange to ship the items to an FFL dealer, who then can transfer the items to a buyer.

Good luck with your selling of the collection!

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Do you wish to dispose of the collection all at once, or piecemeal?

Are you able to take clear digital photographs of the pistols?

Some thoughts:

As da Godfather says, the trader here moves items fast if not over optimisticly priced, and at the speed o' light if underpriced. You'll need to get familiar with shipping regulations, UPS or Fed-Ex only, and must go overnight - this adds to buyers expense, or yours if you include shipping in the price. (Don't!)

Ditto gunbroker - with the added bonus you may have an upside as it is an auction. Still, many flakes out there who'll bid and never pay, or cause headaches in other ways. The more complete your description and the better the photographs, the fewer the problems you should have.

Another alternative might be to sell to a dealer. Empire Arms, Dennis Kroh, has purchased many collections, and has a reputation for fairness and even for paying top dollar for the best stuff. He specializes in the firearms discussed here on gunboards, and I'd bet he'll deal in Spanish steel since it's talked about here. He'll be in Tulsa, OK this weekend for the fun show there, as you are in Texas, it might be a good opportunity to meet, as his normal abode is on the Atlantic coast in Flori-duh.

Good luck!

SlimTim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can take digital photographs though I'm not sure if they would be suitable.

I worry about security issues such as guns in transit during travel. When my sweetheart traveled for such intentions, he had a security person accompany him. I have no such trustworthy advocate to watch my back. Perhaps it would be less stressful to use the forum. I will try to post a few soon for critique. There are many other types of firearms in my collection to consider as well as the Spanish items. In my case the "tyranny of possessions" is a major stumbling block to resuming my life.

Thank you for the replies!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
We would love to see photos of your Spanish items here! I will be the first to admit my photographic skills are horrible - but I keep trying. Often times the best photos I can achieve are due to the help of my daughter - she has a talent in that direction.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Use one of the online auctions. That's one way to insure you get the highest prices, although like everyone else here I'd love to have them at a discount :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
As noted above the best prices will be to sell individually on gunbroker.com. I've done it many times and it's a little bit of trouble but shipping a firearm always is.
A quicker sale might be just to post them for sale here on the Trader forum. Pics and a brief description are in order either way.

Local sales at gun shops or gun shows and you are just asking to get a pitance of what they're worth.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,084 Posts
The hardest part will be to set realistic prices; the next hardest part is to decide what your time is worth. Separately selling and then packing and shipping 30 guns to different buyers is a huge chore. If you have obtained a competent appraisal, you might consider putting them on consignment with a trustworthy dealer, a few at a time, so that you keep a handle on it. A 15% commission will be well earned if all you have to do is deposit the proceeds. Finding a competent appraiser and a trustworthy dealer are the key, and for that you need to ask around A LOT before making your selections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You have all been very helpful with what I recognize to be valuable information. You've given me much to consider. The hardest thing for me will be letting go.

As I photograph these items the memories come flooding back. Perhaps I should sell something else instead & keep my little collection. I have plenty of other guns & lots of knives that do not represent some of the happiest moments of my life. I will begin posting photographs on your picture thread. It would be so special to enjoy the collection for a while longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts