Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rectangle Engineering Font City Gun barrel
I’m literally the only one that suggested the RA XCR. Am I missing something about these not being suitable firearms? I’m considering a purchase of one next spring.

There’s also the SIG VIRTUS MCX on my radar, but the XCR has the simplicity of the best traits of a Kalash and FAL.
Rectangle Engineering Font City Gun barrel

·
Registered
320 Posts
View attachment 3885285 I’m literally the only one that suggested the RA XCR. Am I missing something about these not being suitable firearms? I’m considering a purchase of one next spring.

There’s also the SIG VIRTUS MCX on my radar, but the XCR has the simplicity of the best traits of a Kalash and FAL.
View attachment 3885285
Because people are always going to reply with what they have. I doubt many people have a Robinson XCR compared to an AR15 or AK

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’mm
Because people are always going to reply with what they have. I doubt many people have a Robinson XCR compared to an AR15 or AK
I know, yep. But some have suggested AUGs and ACR’s. Heck several mentions of FN SCARs. I know that the Robinson guy is considered a PITA to many, but from what I’ve read it appears he was swindled out of the SCAR trials by way of shenanigans between procurement officers and FN. Much like the M14 travesty.

The XCR appears to be a great battle rifle.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Galil Ace, accurate, dependable, right up with the Valmets, The Cadillacs of AK style rifles. I like several others as the Fal and M1A but too big and heavy.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
I guess I misunderstood the "Rule .303" posts? To me thats a Lee Enfield, but a Bren would work I guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
It sounds like you have experience with the Mini & find it accurate. It seems like the answer is perhaps right in front of you.

But I'm with Ed Tinker, I keep a .30 Carbine (rule .303 as back up).
I love my Mini. I put an A-Team stock on it and a Holosun 507C. It's got a 16.5" barrel, M15 style front sight, and is much more accurate than I've been told Minis are supposed to be. Then again, my model has a 1:7" barrel twist, and moat have slower twists than that.
What limits the effective range of most conventional loads is where the bullet drops bellow supersonic. This transonic disruption causes the bullet to tumble - game over. If you start out subsonic, you never see the transonic issue. This is why you can shoot the old black powder cartridges at such long ranges.
I never knew that. That's pretty cool!
To all those who went back to the 40's & suggested bolt actions.
Why?
He specifically asked for semi autos.
Not that I have any problem with bolt actions, but that wasn't what was asked for.
I don't remember any bolt action suggestions, but I was surprised to see so many WW2 suggestions...I didn't think I needed to specify that I was only interested in platforms that are currently in production, or only recently taken out of production such as the ACR. Thank you for your consideration about my post's intent.
Gorgeous!
The main dif between blackout, 7.62x39, 30 carbine and .308, ‘06 is range. Yes all will kill deer up close but the full sized battle rifle rounds will reach out considerably farther.
I do own an M1A in .308. I was worried my Mini-14 might be too weak and my M1A unnecessarily strong. Lol.
View attachment 3885285 I’m literally the only one that suggested the RA XCR. Am I missing something about these not being suitable firearms? I’m considering a purchase of one next spring.

View attachment 3885285
I hadn't heard pf these before. I'll have to look into them.
Fair point.
Galil Ace, accurate, dependable, right up with the Valmets, The Cadillacs of AK style rifles. I like several others as the Fal and M1A but too big and heavy.
The Galil Ace is on my consideration list. The less than ambidextrous controls turned me off of it slightly. I'm a leftie.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My personal preference for semi-automatic rifles is one that uses a gas piston vs DI to operate the bolt. In my experience they operate cooler than a DI rifle and are far cleaner.

Here’s my Barrett REC7 with a piston upper. I switched the lower out with a Franklin Armory lower equipped with their BFS III binary trigger. The gun runs flawlessly. Never a failure to feed, fire, or eject.

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
I guess I misunderstood the "Rule .303" posts? To me thats a Lee Enfield, but a Bren would work I guess.
Yes, several of us noted that was what we'd take after our semiautos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
My personal preference for semi-automatic rifles is one that uses a gas piston vs DI to operate the bolt. In my experience they operate cooler than a DI rifle and are far cleaner.

Here’s my Barrett REC7 with a piston upper. I switched the lower out with a Franklin Armory lower equipped with their BFS III binary trigger. The gun runs flawlessly. Never a failure to feed, fire, or eject.

That's what I've been thinking. I learned the other day that piston ARs have more recoil. Have you found this to be true?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,417 Posts
That's what I've been thinking. I learned the other day that piston ARs have more recoil. Have you found this to be true?
With 5.56/.223 you need laboratory test equipment to detect any difference in total recoil.
With .30 caliber SLR's the total recoil is actually two impulses, and the difference in the time each impulse peaks determines the perceived recoil. In other words, the perceived recoil force is a combination. If there is a delay between the arrival of the two impulses, the perceived recoil is more like a push than a kick. For example, the M1 Garand's reciprocating parts - oprod and bolt - exert their impact force on the receiver well after the bullet has left the muzzle. If you use a Schuster adjustable gas plug, this force can be reduced quite noticeably.

The only large caliber gas impingement rifles I shoot are the Swedish Ljungman AG42b and the Savage MSR 10 LR. Subjectively, I find no difference in perceived recoil betweenthe Ljungman and an M96, but the Ljungman also has an effective muzzle brake. The Savage has a finely adjustable gas port regulator, so the second impulse from the BCG is also reduced and delayed.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Many just buy the trigger and get it in their existing rifle and expect it run perfectly. Not. Buying the complete lower is the easiest way to go. They’ve got the perfect buffer and spring already figured out.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,864 Posts

it did, as in it did mean a No1 or No4,

but only when the other listed option is not available or capable,

though honestly, I have some M1's and 1903's that may work better,,,,

re the 300 Blackout vs Whisper,

Whisper's parent case is the 221 Fireball, IIRC, vs the Blackout using 223/556x45 cases
but yes, performance is the same

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife's son made the best statement for all of us who can't drop multibucks on fancy European rifles: "AK if you need an axe, AR if you need a scalpel. I have to agree with him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I was looking to see if anyone else asked this, the closest I could find were posts asking what the "Best Non AR" was.

My question is simple...what's the best semi-automatic rifle for both defense and general use? (Performance wise, not cost wise).

I'm not talking about popularity, availability, cost, or anything other than pure functionality... Meaning accuracy, dependability, endurance, etc.

I know the AR-15 is extremely popular, BUT is it the BEST? Or is it just really good for it's price?

If it's not, what's better?
FN Scar? Steyer Aug? Tavor X95? ACR? M1A? MCX?
The Mini-14 is reliable, but I've heard that the accuracy is inconsistent depending in what year it was made.

Also, I read an article about a recently declassified research project the Australian government did comparing the M16 to the Aug, and the Aug won hands down in nearly every category. Does that hold true of the Aug vs the AR15? What about piston AR15?
I saw someone mention the AG 42, and lots of M1 Garand and M1 Carbine and M1A and Mini-14 advocates. I love all the old battle rifles. The SVT-40, the Egyptian Hakim, the Italian BM 59, the whole FN series. Heavier to carry, but built to reach out and touch someone.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you look at what's still running in 3rd world hell holes with zero care, AK and G3 pattern rifles.

With a knowledgeable user, AR (15/10) or scar seems to be better given more care.

-Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why are people asking about bolt action choices in a thread asking about semi-auto rifles?
SKS. My choice After the AR. Little better than the AK, just as tough. Factory 26 Chicom preferably.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts