Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Why the Aug? It's in my consideration list, but I'd like to know why it's your go to option.
There is something about the AUG's built-in 1.5x scope that makes shouldering and sighting with that circle reticle the most intuitive thing in the world.

Not to be boringly non-controversial <devil>, but:

Many of the current wunder-ARs make me feel like I need a big manual. AKs rule the roost for reliability but are harder for the irregulars to hit anything with.

No bias here, but obviously G3s, FALs and other battle rifles are the coolest and most desireable :D ... but are also more awkward.

Again, I'm thinking about those newbie shooters. And in the kind of real life "tactical" situations I specified, we here are almost all newbies.

I didn't state my definition of "best" for a life-and-death tactical situation where the specified tool was a light semi-auto, presumably with detachable high-cap mag. (Low-profile Minis with their 5-round make me smile. :D )

Now this all has me thinking that for that scenario, the standard of most intuitive for a newbie to pick up and be effective with is not a bad one, and not just for the newbs.

On my own hook, I scratched my head over a couple, but with a little training I'd feel confident - as much as possible - with almost everything mentioned here. Maybe this is a golden era, everything from space-guns to fine old .308 warhorses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
.300 blackout is for suppressed short barreled rifles. 5.56 is velocity dependent; so, you aren't going to get much noise reduction using a suppressor (it's going to be breaking the sound barrier). The blackout uses the same magazine and bolt; so, you don't have to change much (other than the upper). Basic idea is you'll need more mass when decreasing the velocity (squared).
I knew the 300 BO used the same magazine, but I didn't know it could use the same bolt carrier...that's fantastic!! So why do I see see specific blackout mags with 300 AAC written on them?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,417 Posts
I think an AR in a 6.5-7mm round would have been a better all around platform....
So do I. I have a Swedish AG42b Ljungman. It was not as successful as it should have been because it had to use standard Swedish ammo that was optimized for the bolt action Mauser. With handloads using appropriate burn rate powder and an easy to make gas port regulator, it can show its potential.

I like Swedes so much I also have a Garand with the Criterion 6.5x55 barrel. To compensate for the high port pressure the 6.5x55 develops, I use it with a Schuster gas plug. This is one sweet shooting rifle, and it is just as reliable.

Details here: 6.5x55 Swedish Garand - IT LIVES!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Because if you accidently put a .300BO round in your 556 gun you’ve just created a grenade
Fair point, but since I don't plan to change barrels in the middle of a firefight, I'd probably only carry the ammo for the barrel I currently have in the gun. Lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The original question posed is too nebulous. "Defense and general use". Does defense mean in a building, car, outdoors?
"Does General use mean target shooting, competition, hunting? There are several categories of gun owners. Some go to a Range to shoot targets. Some compete in matches. Very many only shoot when hunting. Some collect and don't shoot. Some do several kinds of shooting.
This is an interesting subject, but more specific questions will add flavor.

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
It sounds like you have experience with the Mini & find it accurate. It seems like the answer is perhaps right in front of you.

But I'm with Ed Tinker, I keep a .30 Carbine (rule .303 as back up).

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 7.62x39 has been used effectively against deer a lot. I don't know much about the 300 BO. I do wonder how it can be effective when it's such a large bullet and such a small powder charge.
I have a Mini-14 and an M1A. I guess I was pondering if I should get something in between. Lol.
You can kill a deer with a 22lr, but I would not recommend one (unless spotlighting, at night, is your thing). A .223, in the ear, will drop one in its tracks, but most people don't have the discipline for that kind of shooting. The 7.62x39 is seldom chambered in really accurate firearms, and a 123 gr @ 2200 fps is not exactly deer medicine.
The .300 Whisper (BO) comes in 2 versions, the subsonic uses a 200gr @ about 1000 fps, or you can load a 125gr @ about 2200 fps - making it a ballistic twin of the 7.62x39, that feeds better from an AR platform. The problem is that you need a fast-twist (1/7"-1/6") barrel to stabilize a heavy .30 bullet, at low velocity. That's a little fast for a 125gr, so you have to watch chamber pressures. Also, the gas ports need to be in different locations (pistol vs. carbine). The .300 Whisper (later legitimized as the .300BO), was designed by J.D. Jones as a better round for the short barreled TC Contender. There is a whole line of Whispers, up to .50 cal. The idea was to fire a high BC bullet (at the time, it was the 220gr SMK) at subsonic speeds. What limits the effective range of most conventional loads is where the bullet drops bellow supersonic. This transonic disruption causes the bullet to tumble - game over. If you start out subsonic, you never see the transonic issue. This is why you can shoot the old black powder cartridges at such long ranges. The suppressed capability was an added benefit - not a design criteria.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
To all those who went back to the 40's & suggested bolt actions.
Why?
He specifically asked for semi autos.
Not that I have any problem with bolt actions, but that wasn't what was asked for.
Ideally I'd like the FAL, but in one of the earlier intermediate calbers, 270, 280, or 7.62X39 or 8mm Kurtz, which was the original design idea a "Little Carbine" as Dieudonne Saieve called it. Not a stretched full blown main battle rifle.

Reactions: MacGyver125

·
Gold Bullet member
8,417 Posts
M1918 BAR
This is stretching the OP's question: now we are talking about full automatic. Granted, a proficient BAR shooter can manipulate the trigger for single shots, but you are firing from the open bolt, with the disadvantage of long lock time.
If we are comparing automatic rifles, then the 1918 BAR is third behind the BREN and Nambu. Then there is the ultimate BAR: the Swedish M37. OK: it's a close tie with the FN D.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The main dif between blackout, 7.62x39, 30 carbine and .308, ‘06 is range. Yes all will kill deer up close but the full sized battle rifle rounds will reach out considerably farther.

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
MBR, I like the FAL.

5.56, I prefer the AR-180

41 - 60 of 138 Posts