Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the landser and ima slings are pretty good but as I took a look on their sites, there is a pretty big difference. The ima actually looks better but i read on another site that the ima frosch was too big for the cutout on the k98 stock. Does anyone here have any experience in regards?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Award, by far the best "repro" is an Austrian Stg.58 sling. They are longer, like 55" instead of 47" and have two holes. However, cross hatching, quality, aging, are almost identical. The buckle slider pins are a bit different. These are many times passed off as German WW2 MP40 slings or K98k slings after being marked with the fake stamps posted about here. You can find one of these for $20 or less and all you need is the keeper.

http://www.rifleslings.com/austrian_mp40_sling.htm

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks hb, but now where to find them? the site you linked says he isn't taking emails either. I would probably take 3 of them btw.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Sadly, Epay, or check the auction sites.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ive also liked the isreali slings. But recently Ive found what look to be post war german k98 slings. IMO they look alot closer to wartime than the isrealis. Ive been picking them up from local gunshows for about $40

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have an IMA sling and it sits in the drawer. The leather was as hard as a rock (leather softeners didn't help much), thin, and the Frosch wasn't really as much too large as it isn't shaped correctly. The "lip" the real sling frosches have is missing so they won't lie flat against the stock when you pick up the sling (like it should).

I've seen many people talk about the Austrian ones, I just have yet to see one on ebay. I've got two Israeli slings, both from whatacountry.com and I'm pleased with both. When I ordered the second sling I decided to get fancy and order the $15.99 one without a frosch. It wasn't as nice as the with-frosch version for $29. I've seen Israeli ones go as low as $27 on ebay, but usually around $40. I've yet to be impressed with a repro, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks sargeast. i got the site and price. i am going to look around a little bit on the net and maybe i can find a few austrian slings that hb speaks of first.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
The problem is most people peddle these Austrian slings as "original MP40 slings". They've been coming into this country as surplus for as long as I can remember. I bought several years ago in like new shape for $9 each. Now they are anywhere from $25 to $100 (when someone buys one thinking it German WW2). They are in various conditions, as surplus usually is, and are usually marked with the Stolla Wien oval logo on the button end and an ink stamped oval and date (60s) on the buckle/adjust end. If the sling is 50+ inches long it is one of these. I've seen them in nice shape sell for $25 at auction.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i assume the mp40 slings are 2 hole??? and no cross stitch print? while the stg.58 is also 2 hole but has the print and a little longer by about 3 inches.

just need 3 good ones if anyone has any to cough up.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Original MP40 slings, German WW2 can be found in 42" and 47", two holes, cross hatched and bordered, some are smooth no hatching, as are some variant K98k slings IMHO. The Stg.58 slings are 55", two holed, crosshatched and bordered just like K98k and MP40 slings, probably made on the same machinery as the WW2 slings. These Stg. slings were said to be used on MP40s too, in Austrian postwar service.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I grab all of the Austrian ones I can find. They can be used hard without worring about destroying a Historical artifact, are almost identical, are extremely well made and are aged just right. Plus they aren't all stretched out! The problem is finding them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts