Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input from those who currently reload this round as to which dies work really well. Price is a factor, but I have a line on a, relatively, cheap Hornady die set in 8x50R so wonder if that's worth the extra bucks over other alternatives. Thanks.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,082 Posts
The Lee dies in 8 x 50R mm 'Lebel' is hands down the best I have ever used in this caliber, I have made hundreds of rounds using these dies.

Patrick

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lee dies are completely unuseful if you use correct .327 prvi partizan bullets in a bit worn Berthier "N ball" chamber. They are designed for .323 bullets as per 8x57 mauser so accuracy is very poor. You cannot decap cause spent cases wont enter in the die due close tolerances, ify resize the neck for .323 bullet you have to stretch it (or collapsed it) to accomodate .327 bullet. Lee set can be seen as a good cheap start having a buddy with a lathe and buying a .338 decapper to size down. The same if you like to shoot cast boolits with reduced loads. The only choice is a .329 mold and I think it can be loaded as is with very soft lead. I'll try next weeks.

·
8,082 Posts
if you want to use .327 diameter bullets in a Lee die, call Lee, order the .327 expander and replace the one in the full length re-sizing die, that is what I do when I use .327 diameter bullets.

Patrick

·
Registered
268 Posts
artu44, you may find with the cast .329 bullets, that you may need to hone out the seater die a little to let the bullet pass through the "crimp" area of the die. I use the Mid-South Lee "Karabiner" cast bullet in my Lebel, and had to do this, in order to seat it as long as needed in a Lebel.

I also use the Lee dies when I want to F/L resize, but when I just want to neck size brass, I use my Hornady 8mm Lebel revolver die.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you want to use .327 diameter bullets in a Lee die, call Lee, order the .327 expander and replace the one in the full length re-sizing die, that is what I do when I use .327 diameter bullets.

Patrick

I can find only partizan cases and they are not so strong, I'm afraid that resizing neck to inner .323 then expanding it to 327 will cause too much stress. Did you ever had such a problem? I wasn't avle to find .327 expander in Lee catalog. Maybe spaecial order?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I use the Lee dies to reload 8mm Lebel with 329 bullets from 1948 dated ammo. Bullets pulled bullets from dead ammo and worked perfectly with no case problems. I was using Graf's original brass not the Privi they now sell.

·
8,082 Posts
You have to special order the expander from them
I dedicated certain brass for this task only, if I use brass that the neck is sized to .323 it stays that way and same for brass that the neck is sized to .327, it stays that way ... I do not go back and forth re-sizing them to the different diameters.

Patrick

·
Registered
78 Posts
You have to special order the expander from them
I dedicated certain brass for this task only, if I use brass that the neck is sized to .323 it stays that way and same for brass that the neck is sized to .327, it stays that way ... I do not go back and forth re-sizing them to the different diameters.

Patrick
Indeed .327 expander is not standard and here I cannot issue a special order from Italy, so I think I'll reduce a .338 one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ho. Been trying to get reloading this stuff (8x50R Lebel and its Revolver counterpart) and am having a whale of a time finding a way to trim my brass. I seem to be looking mostly at hornady's "cam-lock" trimmer with its shell holder #49 as the solution and a .323 pilot. Any advice on trimming this stuff would be a great help to me.
Merci!

·
8,082 Posts
I use a Hornady 'Cam Lock' Case Trimmer ... I had to get the 8 mm (.323) pilot and had to drill out a spare Lee 8mm Lebel Shell holder so it would fit in the shellholder rod easily ... it is not hard to drill it a bit bigger, just a little was all it took.

Patrick

·
Gold Bullet Member
650 Posts
I took a different approach to trimming. When I first started out, I bought a Redding trimmer with a universal collet and built in micrometer, figuring I would do a lot of brass conversions. (And I do). It's pricey as hell, cost me more than my press did, but it does fit anything up to 8x50 Lebel rim size, perfectly. Amusingly enough, I have thought about getting a Hornady cam lock and modifying it to fit .577 Snider cases...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.