Gunboards Forums banner

Best powder for 45 ACP

64K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  JeepsAndGuns 
#1 ·
So what is everyones favorite powder for reloading 45 auto?
I have reloaded a couple hundred and I am looking for a good powder. I started out with unique. It did so well in my 44 mag, I wanted to try it in my 45. It had decent results, but it left a lot of residue on the gun (inside and out) like not all of it was burning. I though it was funny, as it burns so good and clean in my 44 mag.
So next I tried IMR 700X. I have a good bit of that (12lb keg) And I got the data from the sheet that came with my lee carbide die set. It did pretty good, better than unique. But, it has a lot more recoil, muzzle flip, and was noticeably louder. Almost like it was +p. The load was 4.9gr under a 230gr copper jacketed bullet. I worked up from the starting load of 4gr, and 4.9gr was the most accurate. 5gr is the max.
I just feel like this is a little too hot for my tastes. I dont want to beat up my gun. I am looking for other powders that generally do the best in 45auto. Something that more closely matches the preformance of most factory loaded ammo. I will be shooting mainly 230gr jacketed bullets, but I do have a couple hundred rainier 230gr HP's (copper plated lead, use lead loading data) But once I shoot those up, I will go back to regular copper jacketed bullets.
Gun is a regular fullsize H&K USP.

Thanks.

See less See more
#7 ·
I use w231 for all my 45 acp. I do a lot of bowling pin shoots and use the Ranier HP 230 grain copper plated. The HP rounds grab on to the pins better than the round nose heads. I start off w/5.5 gr. of 231 and as the match progresses the pins get heavier from the amount of rounds it takes then I go to my loads of 5.8 gr. of 231. I have tried other powders but w231 works the best and it is the cleanest. I also use WLP primers.

#8 ·
I use 5 grains of bulleseye for 230 grain jacketed hollow points (Hornady XTP and Remington Golden Sabres). I like 8.0 grains of Accurate #5 for 200 grain lead round nose.

#20 ·
You like to play in the mud, do you?

.... The only other powder I have tried is Unique.
Unique is an all around powder, if I could only have ONE powder that might be it. But d@mn, it is nasty bad dirty. Look like a coal miner afer a day at the range with that stuff.....

#10 · (Edited)
Accurate #5 and #7 are the only two I have used for the 185gr. HP. Accurate enough for me in my Norinco. #7 fills the case a little more. Accurate may not be the cleanest burning but I like it.
Depends on what your looking for. W231 does not seem to give the velocity of #5 or 7 given the pressures it produces.

#12 ·
Not to hijack this thread But ArmyRat if you want stellar vel. and a super clean burn with those 185HP give HS-6 a try looking up some data for +P loads and give it a try I easily beat the factory Rem 185+P ammo vel. and acuracy wise with it.PM me if you cant find the data.

Tim

#15 ·
I still have yet to get into reloading, though I've been doing some reading of late. I'm a bit fuzzy about something while reading this thread: are you guys making these recommendations based on all this being fired through a full-size H&K USP? Would your recommendations be different if the pistol was a m1911 in the usual US Army configuration - all-steel frame, 5" barrel, etc.? I ask because it seems the recommended power and bullet would depend on the pistol being used (weight, length of barrel, etc.)?

#16 ·
I would still recomend W231 I 've used it in numerous 45 cal pistols including very short barreled AMT back up ,Ruger P90, 1911 types Sig 220 and even the Marlin camp carbine. makes no difference to the the grand old 45 ACP

Tim

#19 ·
I'm also a big bullseye fan, however I never tried the ww powder. I have a Kimber custom target 1911, and a colt original 1911 made in 1917 in mint condition. Both shoot exceptionally well using the bullseye powder. I will try the W231 though........always looking for something better.

#23 ·
I didn't like the unique in the 45, its a somewhat slower burn powder compared to 231, bullseye. The slower burn softens the recoil enough from what I'm used to to throw my aim off. I use it for my longer barreled magnums because it has a lower pressure spike and the softer recoil means more there.

#29 ·
Well I took the advice and got some win231. It shot the best group it ever has with the starting load at 25 yards. The higher loads did worse. So I am sticking with the starting load.
The group with the starting load was half or less than groups I was getting with everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.