Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a set of plans for a gun rack that stands the guns upright (butt of gun on floor or bottom of rack and barrel fore-end in notches of rack attached to wall), and they sit side by side along a wall? I was wondering if anyone has good plans for this type rack. [email protected] email these plans or where I could get them if possible. Thanks a lot.......

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Here's mine, made it out of 4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x10's. Just stacked one rack on top of the other one on the 2x10 framework. I posted some plans for it years ago on the forum, don't know if I can find them now tho. I made Tuco and Ol'Duke a couple of them to get their rifle's out of the corner. If I get time I'll try to draw up some new ones.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Capt. Zorro, Thats a great gun rack and looks to be easy to build.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Gun Rack

Here is a simple one to make. Base 10" board fastened to wall on L brackets with 2" rail around the edge and end. To hold the top of the rifles I used another 1 x 2" to put pegs in 2 1/2" apart. Easy and cheap. riceone

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's mine, made it out of 4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x10's. Just stacked one rack on top of the other one on the 2x10 framework. I posted some plans for it years ago on the forum, don't know if I can find them now tho. I made Tuco and Ol'Duke a couple of them to get their rifle's out of the corner. If I get time I'll try to draw up some new ones.

I'd really be interested in seeing the plans for this. Thanks...... [email protected]

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a simple one to make. Base 10" board fastened to wall on L brackets with 2" rail around the edge and end. To hold the top of the rifles I used another 1 x 2" to put pegs in 2 1/2" apart. Easy and cheap. riceone

I like this one also, explain the building of this please and materials needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like this one also, explain the building of this please and materials needed.
Just from looking at the pic, you'd need a chunk of 1X10, roughly whatever distance you want to span, enough brackets to put one every 2 feet under the 1X10, and 1 piece of 1X3, 22" longer than the 1X10. Cut the 1X3 2" longer than the 1X10 distance, and cut 2 pieces 10" long. Place the long 1X3 against the front of the 1X10, and nail on. Repeat for the smaller pieces for the sides of the shelf.

then take a piece of 1X4 as long as your 1X10, and drill 1/2" holes 2" on center until you run out of board.

then take a 1/2" dowel, cut into 4" pieces, and glue into 1X4 board. Attach shelf and board to wall.

Smile at a new rack.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Gun Rack

Lamont, you explained it. But put your peggs at the top at least 2 1/2" apart so the bolt handles won't rub the next gun. Very easy to make. A coat of sand and sealer makes it look nicer. riceone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lamont, you explained it. But put your peggs at the top at least 2 1/2" apart so the bolt handles won't rub the next gun. Very easy to make. A coat of sand and sealer makes it look nicer. riceone.
;)

Only thing I don;t like about those style of racks are the fact that the firearms can "spin" left or right.

I use a 2" holesaw, and cut grooves in a 1X4 turned on edge. Think making 1 3/4" deep cuts with the holesaw.

Line with Weatherstriping felt, and boom racks that cannot allow the guns to rotate on the stock.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Gun rack

Had not thought of it before but you could accomplish the same thing by nailing block in the bottom to hold the butts like you want. They do turn in the rack, vibrations in the house will do it. riceone.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mine is very similar to Roy's except Instead of pegs I took a 1x6 and drew a center line ,punched holes thru it with my 2 1/2 hole saw ,spaced 4 1/2 inches apart center to center, then I split it on my table saw so I got two pieces of notched sections ,letting me make 16 ft of rack at a time. I line the notches with self adhesive stripping and put a small piece of dowel in the base next to each rifles spot near the toe to keep them from turning or sliding ( G/F's cat took out a whole row of Izawa's before I figured that one out). I run small sized sheather cable thru my trigger guards from one end to the other and pad lock it together for security/access.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my pattern cut out for my gun rack. It's gonna haold about 40 rifles. I'll also have to come up with something else to hold more besides just a one sided rack. I just need to drill my 2 inch holes and I'll be ready to stain and install. Where can I find some thin green felt stripping for the slots?How wide would you put spacers between the butstocks if you where going to do that sort of thing? I'm thinking I'll get some dowell rods and drill holes in the front of the rack and slide the rods through to hold the butts straight........ About every 2 inches or so?

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
Here's a pattern idea. Self explanatory. Any dimensions you feel are necessary. Build with cheapest lumber and stain/varnish. This setup is 20 years old and has served handsomely.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts

We made a butt-load of these racks at a couple of sittings....a stained them in assembly line style....here's some of mine.

The sway in the second picture is an illusion caused by my camera...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
my god man, what an awsome display of guns, how many k98's do u have there,? damn, have to catch my breath here.....just awsomeeeeeeeee

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Here is how I did mine. Single row, about 30" off the floor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts