Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my funky looking 03A3 bolt for a new or low miles blued one and I see them for sale from several supliers but I don't want to buy one to find after it arrives that I don't like the condition.
The rifle is a Smith with a Remington barrel so I don't really care if the bolt is marked X or R, just that it looks new...
ALSO, what's the going opinion of swapping out random bolts and maintaining headspace with the 03A3?
I get away with it over and over again with large ring Mauser, but have never ventured it with a Springfield.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you need a blued one try Bill Ricca,or Springfield Sporters.There are others like Gun Parts Corp,Sportsmans guide etc that have complete 03a3 bolts for about 50 bucks,but are WW2 replacements that are parked,not blued.Good chance that a replacement will headspace ok.These rifles were mass produced to fit together with minimum custom fitting since they made hundreds a day during war time ,and counted on each piece being in spec to speed things up.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's where I ended up landing..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would check with Sarco. A few years back they had Remington production 03A3 bolt bodies new in the grease for $10.

Whoever you go with, make sure you are getting original USGI parts. Seems there are alot of parts showing up that are repro's, and I'm sure someone will eventually start making repro bolts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got a complete Remington marked blued bolt off of GB for 55.00 a while back. I was very pleased with it. Fired 2 rounds from the hip because at my age I figured better to lose something down there than my eyes. Just kidding. Everything was fine and it shoots very well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A few years ago, Southern Ohio Guns was offering NOS bolt bodies, listed as Springfield, still in the grease. They looked like late production-didn't recognize the code- 03A3 replacements. They were fairly cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts