Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No "got rid of the 3rd ex wife" type of replies please.:p;)

I noticed a "what's the worst you ever got burned" type of thread and thought a flip side might be nice. i know I've read of many a sweet deal before stumbling onto my own and thought such a topic might make for fun telling, reading and remembering.

My own was as follows...

I took the wife and kids to church one Saturday morning (some kind of special service or other) and not being a church going man (no atheist or agnostic either, but my relationship with God is a long story not appropriate here, nor very interesting either, for that matter.) I scooted over to a nearby gunshop recently taken under new management. They had a rack of milsurps so I checked it out. A nice hex receiver 91/30 but oops, sewer pipe bore, pass... a few other things then "wait a minute!" Sight ears on a 91/30?! Uh uh-uhh. SA mark, Tikka stamp! beginning to drool, Check tag again- yep, "91/30- $135" Kind of steep... but not for a Finn!:grin:
I'm mainly a Mauser man. The only Finn Mosin I could identify by sight was a mod 39 which this wasn't. But I knew it was worth more than $125! Problem is, I got nothing on me. Not .02 cents. No check, no credit card (they were all in church, with the wife!) So I nonchalantly put it back in the rack, looked at a couple more things and sauntered out the door and scooted back to that church soonest!
That service wasn't out yet. I bet I paced back and forth for another 1/2 hour, 40 minutes. Finally, they let out. The wife stayed glued to the pew... so I went in and whispered in her ear- "I gotta buy a gun, NOW! Gimme a check!" Times were hard and we didn't have money for buying guns then and she knew I knew it. she gave me a funny look and handed one over. I hauled butt back and nobody else had spotted it for what it was and I scarfed it!
Here tis, a Fin M28.:thumbsup:
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Trigger Wood Air gun

(the bayo was added later)

I went back a week or to later and (going prepared this time) walked out with a Finn marked M1891, albeit minus the handguard, again for $137 and change ($125+tax)

Don't ask, for some odd reason, this shop has gone out of business.

Well, that's my tale- next!

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
There have been a few...

1912 BSA SMLE III, complete in every way and totally original: $50

1929 Lithgow SMLE III, totally original and VERY scarce: $200

Portuguese contract M941 Kar98k (early type), all matching, with original sling: $100

Portuguese contract M941 later type (cupped buttplate) Kar98k, MINT/UNFIRED $450

1915 Carl Gustaf M96, elm stocked, all matching: $75

Springfield M1903, 1905 barrel and receiver, all original: $175 (sold it for 10X that)

G33/40, bolt mismatch: $800 (I see them go for totally INSANE prices now - well into 4 figures)

Actually, I have gotten a LOT of incredible deals. Not so many these days - my golden days are gone (and the golden days were about 5 years ago only!). Only been burned oce or twice.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Let's see-
Simonov Trials Rifle- 90 (online and was advertised as an M91-30 with 3 bands...)
Polish M91/98/25- 100 (auction, bid so that I wouldn't have to fight for it, it was silent when I bid 100 for a "worthless" old nagant)
Lebel dated 1916 for 60 (local show, the rifle showed up and I picked it up, asked the price and it didn't leave my hands)
Potsdamagaz Pistol circa 1740 bought for 100 dollars on Ebay back when they allowed guns, poor pictures and I was the only one to ask about lock markings...

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Last spring, I went to a local auction and got a Japanese T-99, with original sling, for $150. The sling alone is worth that much, so the gun was free. The best part, to me, is that the bore is near mint and it shot one inch groups at 100 yards, with the very first handload I made up for it.

Also last spring, my Father-In-Law calls me at zero-dark-thirty in the morning, from a garage sale. Says, "They have this old gun here that looks like a Mauser. Should I get it?". Kind of a tough one to decide over the phone when your still half asleep, but I told him to grab it if he thought he could get it for cheap. Turns out to be a Gew. 88, 1891 Erfurt built and in excellent condition. Even has the cleaning rod with it. He paid twenty bucks for it, but wouldn't let me give him any money for it, so it was free and is on my wall, now.

Any time I find a 91/30 sniper and the seller doesn't know what it is, I feel like I stole it, even if the price isn't a "steal" for a Mosin. You know if they knew what they were selling, it would likely be higher.

John

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
Was passing through Roanoke and stopped at a show. I got there early and was among the first 20 or so through the door. Turned right scanned for Mosins. I saw a M44 on a rack and went for it. Nothing special, beater 1945 M44. I didn't even look at the price. On the same rack I saw the distinctive front sight of a Finn M27 or M28. I picked it up and saw the price: $100. "Well I'm buying this," I thought. I looked at the barrel shank to check the year and such and almost had an accident. 'Puolustuslaitos' marked 1932 M27. "I need to buy this NOW!!! Where is the guy??!!!" No one was at the table. The guy saunters back, I give him a crisp Franklin, and get away from the table before I lost composure.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
- Beat up Japanese last ditch rifle and bayonet in wooden scabbard for $225. It was a "carbine length" Naval Special rifle; extremely rare made with cast iron parts including receiver (bolt locks into barrel shank so receiver merely holds everything in place). Sold the bayonet (scabbard was trashed) for $75 heading to the car with my prize. Net cost $150. It is worth over $1k+ in the event you can find one for sale.

- Finn M27 for $225. 1934 dated VKT: the only one reported so far. Traded it to a fellow board member and great friend.

·
Administrator
3,480 Posts
1939 Tula 91/30, no import stamp and duffle cut stock under lower band. Stamped F.L.P.Mi. on barrel shank. Bought at a local show for $30.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Within last 15 years ago

M1941 Johnson - $750
M1903A4 sniper - $750
M73B1 scope - $50
M1D from CMP - $900
G41(W) Trial Rifle - $3500
A bunch of great SVT40s for $219 ea
USGI Colt 1911 for $599 (3 mo. ago)
Finn M39s in exc cond for $79 ea
Unissued No. 4 Mk. II (Irish contract) for $99
6 complete original PU scope setups for $49 ea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought a 1940 K-kale Turk Mauser with all matching parts (xx777) in great condition (including the bore), with its cleaning rod, a bayonet and scabbard (serial number different from rifle), and 200 rounds of 1945 dated ammo for it in cloth bandoleers for $79.00 at a gunshow about 11 years ago. The stock has a lot of "figure", kind of like tiger stripe. I took it home and spent a leisurly week completely dis-assembling, detail cleaning, and re-assembling it. Even took the rear sight apart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You guys got some really good deals.
Here are a couple of mine.

Was working for a company repoing cars last year. Another employee came up to me and asked if I was interested in this old Mauser he found at a garage sale. He told me it was kind of rusty and it took him a whle to 2x4 the bolt open. I said Id take a look at it bring it in. The next day he walks up with a M1 Garand. It was rusty for sure. I said how much you want for it? He said he only paid a couple of bucks for it at a garage sale. He said he wanted $100.00 for it. Almost ripped my pants pocket gettting my wallet out. Cleaned it up and it shoots great.

Also got a M91 Chatterault for $30. at SG one time.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,598 Posts
My best buy so far has to be my 1945 Izhevsk M44 arsenal re-furb, although it has a mis-matched bolt, mag floor plate and butt plate (all electro pencilled) the barrel looked to be unfired and it performs well with Hungarian ball. At £125 it was a good deal by UK standards, I am more than happy with it.
ukrifleman

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
SMLE dated 1903 for 2hrs of yard work.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.