Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been shooting golden tiger ammo which to me is very good although I must admit to not being an expert. What is the consensus among the distinguished members of this board about the available ammo (7.62x39) these days? Which is better (best) Golden Tiger, Wolf, Romanian (Hot Shot), etc? Apparently all the surplus is gone...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've only tried Wolf Military Classic and Golden Tiger in my Chinese SKS. I have used over 100 rounds of Golden Tiger (probably close to 200), Wolf I only used 19 rounds as 1 of the 20 in the box had a bad primer to it, so I just stay with Golden Tiger, cheap for today and it works well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did anybody notice we all joined in 1969?

So it seems GT is the best bang for the buck...

I've only tried Wolf Military Classic and Golden Tiger in my Chinese SKS. I have used over 100 rounds of Golden Tiger (probably close to 200), Wolf I only used 19 rounds as 1 of the 20 in the box had a bad primer to it, so I just stay with Golden Tiger, cheap for today and it works well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen mixed views with Wolf, some people say it's crap, dirty and stinky, unreliable, etc. Some people say it is not that bad and it is the cheaper one.

I have had good luck with Wolf,both the FMJ and FMJHP.
Clark

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,176 Posts
There's been a lot of complaints lately about wolf, GT seems to be held in higher regard of the cheaper brands right now IMO.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
The best ammo question is Never gonna be answerable by anyone except by the individual shooter and his rifle ! Brand X may shoot great in one and horrid in another! same with brand Y and Z every rifle is a different creature. So long as YOU get 100% reliability and accuracy to YOUR satisfaction in YOUR rifle then THAT is the best ammo for that rifle

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bought a 1000rnd case of Wolf SP a year ago [$122.00!!....ah, the good old days] and a few hundred rounds of black box Wolf FMJ and Mil Classic HP. I keep replacing what I shoot up w/whatever Wolf is "on sale" locally - $4.00 to $5.00 a box of 20 now! Also tried American Eagle, shoots OK but expensive - about double+ that of Wolf. Have to say that the Wolf has worked just fine in our little collection of Russian and Yugo SKS's - I'd like to try some of the "Tiger" or "Hot Shot" and may mail order some.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One thing I wish to add as a followup. I am sure Wolf generally has good ammunition, and I know I had one dud. However, what I wanted to add on was that Wolf will replace any bad ammunition free of charge if I recall correctly. The gal I spoke with at Wolf was very nice and I think its decent ammo. I just purchased the Golden Tiger because I had a good deal on it.

BV

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have been shooting alot of Silver Bear and I really like it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW, I shot my single best group in my Romo SKS with Wolf 2 ~ 3 years ago. Five rounds into about 1-1/2 inch @ 100 yards. I have only ever tried FMJ, so can't speak for soft points or hollow points.

I found that there wasn't all that much difference in group size at 100 yds, but there was a large difference in group location.

I also found significant differences in group size and locations with the bayo folded or unfolded & the cleaning rod removed. Don't be afraid to try something different - you might be pleasently surprised.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Deal... or No Deal?

Is anyone familiar with "HotShot" 7.62X39mm Romanian FMJ (124 gr.) Berdan / Non-corrosive(?) ammo?

Does $ 147 for a 700 rd / case sound reasonable?
How does that price compare with Wolf or the other Russian "Animal brands"?

Is this milsurp or commercial manufacture?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Natchez has a better price for the Hot shot in the spam can:

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=331

But Golden Tiger is the best deal at ammoman. Ath the price they go for S&B better be gooder than everything else...

Is anyone familiar with "HotShot" 7.62X39mm Romanian FMJ (124 gr.) Berdan / Non-corrosive(?) ammo?

Does $ 147 for a 700 rd / case sound reasonable?
How does that price compare with Wolf or the other Russian "Animal brands"?

Is this milsurp or commercial manufacture?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts